Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humidifier questions

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ACtually mass, I use tap water in my humidifier and my plants didn't care. So far the pickiest plants I have grown were N. argentii, N. rajah and N. macrophylla BE. They thived with the humidifier inspite of a mineral dust buildup over their leaves. Its bugging around with them, repotting them too much, and not tailoring the media for the air circulation that caused their demise.

Anyways...I use the RELI-ON brand humidifer. I think it was 30$ or something. A good friend gave it to me. It was found in walmart. The one thing you want to do is, after like 2 months or so use some white vinegar and remove the mineral content on the ceramic disc and the water level sensor needle. I basically pour in vinegar and let it sit in the bottom mech for like an hr or so...and the salt all comes off. Wash it off and its good to go.

Here is a picture

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use RO water so I don't have to mess with all of that jazz. And my plants look and grow better as a result of it.. but.. to each their own.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey..thats fair. I mean if you have a nice RO system...thats great. I acutally have to buy my RO water (distilled). My parents have a Whirlpool RO system from Lowes and I used to get water from them when they come to visit. But it ended up that it was still to mineral heavy...my plants didn't seem to do well, there was a lot more algae, sphagnum didn't like it at all. The moment I went back to grocery store distilled water, the sphag has rebounded with a vengeance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use to think that the white residue left behind by ultrasonics was calcium buildup, but, from a lot of googling, i'm changing ,my viewpoint to thinking its salt residue actually... caused by water softeners. Never tried RO or filtered water to see if it makes a difference. i've tried some fairly expensive ultrasonics with little difference as far as the white residue buildup is concerned sadly. as far as humidity goes, the ultrasonics do seem to work better than most i've tried.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep.. you got me. I spent a few hundred on a nice RO unit a couple months ago. But can't argue with thriving plants. If yours are happy, that's all that matters right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks all, ill probably go to wallmart sometime next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have very hard water here so I use our RO water for the humidifier. What strange is that even though it consistently tests out at less than 5 ppm, I still get a light white dust over everything. I have two different testers and they both match. I change the pre filters and the DI filter every 5 months, but haven't had to change the RO membrane yet (unit is only 1.5 yrs old).

Anyway the ultrasonic humidifier I use has a programmable humidistat on it. It's great, just set it and the humidity is maintained. But, the humidifier has been discontinued for some reason. Been using for 5 years with not a single problem!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12