Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roots from stem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

roots from stem?

Ok, so I've been growing Nepenthes for a while now, but every time I repot, I never stick any of the brown stem beneath the surface. So I have nice green growth hovering on top of a brown stem. If I repot them and put the stem under soil, will it sprout roots so i can then trim off the old roots and have a low growing plant again? Thanks
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-18-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: N. A.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean to tell me no one knows?
    Joshua from PA
    Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When i got my rajah's like this in august i put the whole stem under the soil, they are still alive but i have no clue if there are new roots higher up.

my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hesitant to answer, because I'm not really an expert, but here goes. I think that, while they definitely can produce roots from the stem, they usually don't. Unlike plants such as tomatoes, which produce copious root nodes from any part of the stem that senses moisture or darkness, Nepenthes mostly grow new roots from tissue underneath the outer "bark" layer. (I've also been told that the side nodes just above each leaf can turn into roots, but I haven't seen a lot of research or anecdotal evidence to support that.) So, I imagine that growing new roots spontaneously is pretty rare. Many growers recommend shaving the outer layer off, or cutting shallow, vertical slits into it, when making cuttings in order to encourage the formation of new roots.
    If you want a low-growing plant, it would be a safer bet to take a cutting from the still-green parts of the stem and attempt to root it. If the plant is mature enough, with a little luck the rootstock should produce new basal nodes. Some plants are reluctant to produce basals though, and will resume growing from a node near the cut part of the vine. At the very least, the cutting will remain short for a time.
    Another idea, if your vine is long enough, is to allow it to grow hanging over the edge of the pot, so that the tip of the vine is lower than the rootstock. This will trick the plant hormonally into producing new nodes, as if it were cut.
    ~Joe
    Last edited by seedjar; 03-15-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with seedjar.

Although I am not experienced enough to give a definitive answer of any kind I would say that burying too much of the stem has potential for problems. In some cases with other plants I've grown, if the stem is too far under the soil and there is enough light present, there is the chance that it will sprout a growth point that is mostly under ground which can slow the overall growth of the plant. Plus, also if the root mass is deeper in the soil, then it will need to be repotted sooner than later assuming that it doesn't sprout root growth out of the buried stem, which is a possibility.

Overall if you're looking for shorter plants just clip the main growth point and enjoy the bushy basals.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just curious because you see these beautiful big neps that are low growing and have adult pitchers. If they left it keep growing it would be a huge plant by now. So basically, once the stem gets so high, if I dont like it any more, I should take a cutting and that will start the cycle of stem growth over, on the new cutting, and it will remain at the same maturity and maintain pitcher size? I just got rid of a massive Miranda, had no room for it. It had a stem about the diameter of a penny. It was a low growing bushy plant. You mean to tell me that came from a cutting? Adult pitchers and flowers form a plant that was maybe a foot tall.
    Joshua from PA
    Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stuff thats left in the pot usually makes the low growing bushy plants, not the cuttings.
    Its because the new growth allrdy has a huge rootball to get energy from instead of heaving to start from zero like cuttings or seedlings.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrtfox1942 View Post
    Ok, so I've been growing neps for a while now, but every time I repot, I never stick any of the brown stem beneath the surface. So I have nice green growth hovering on top of a brown stem. If I repot them and put the stem under soil, will it sprout roots so i can then trim off the old roots and have a low growing plant again? Thanks
    Last year I received several rooted cuttings that had long brown stems so I planted them as deep as I could to try to hide the stems as much as possible. I unpotted several of them today to pack them up and send them on their way to a new home. What I found was that about 50% of them had sprouted new root growth from the buried stem. However, since they were all different I couldn't really draw any conclusion on which types of neps seem to root more than others. I hope this helps to shed a little light on the subject.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast