Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes talangensis problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes talangensis problems

Hi, I have heard about this troubling plant, and now I have one. I have read much/most of the cutivational information on this finicky plant. I know that:

1. It is hard to pitcher
    2. It likes sunlight
    3. It like higher humidity than most nepenthes
    4. It needs a nighttime drop in temperatures
    5. The pitchers are beautiful

My Nepenthes talangensis is in a sunny sout facing windowsill. There are holes in the pot for adequate drainage and there is a mound of long fiber sphagnum moss around it for humidity. The eindow opens up at night and day (sometimes) for ventilation and lowering of temps. In my opinion, it is not getting enough humidity even though I have no proof of this. I also have a Nepenthes singalana berilang and a Nepenthes spectablis x aristolochioides on the windowsill; the latter is inflating a pitcher.
    Any other suggestions for my Nepenthes talangensis? I am a fairly patient person, so I could wait 9+ months for it to acclimadize to itscurrent conditions. There are many experienced and wise growers on this forum. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-18-2011 at 06:45 AM. Reason: N. A.
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by "sunny"? Does it receive direct sunlight for several hours? I find if it does not receive the direct sunlight, it won't pitcher. Humidity is crucial to it, although you may acclimate it to low humidity. But initially, you need to first provide it with high humidity, and very slowly gradually reduce the humidity. The pot, although covered with wet moss, cannot increase the local humidity too much, especially when there is obvious air-movement or it is completely open to the room. You can cover the pot with a bottle without bottom but with a narrow mouth (e.g. remove the bottom of a Coke's bottle).

Your other two neps are very easy-growing neps, and even can pitcher around 30% humidity.

Hope this helpful.
    My Grow-List and Want-List
    If you know other unique plants that can walk, can talk, can sing, or can eat people, please tell me and I definitely want to get one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sunny, I mean direct sunlight from 10 a.m. to around three o' clock p.m.

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

To clear things up, I have a shelf that extends to about the heaight of the windowsill, so they get quit a bit of light.
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also mist it around three to two times a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, the sunlight is sufficient. Then probably the only problem is the humidity. Try a humidity meter to measure your humidity?
    My Grow-List and Want-List
    If you know other unique plants that can walk, can talk, can sing, or can eat people, please tell me and I definitely want to get one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The humidity is around 45% when it gets the most sun and gradually gets up to around 80% during the night according to the clock in my house. My clock has a humidity meter.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your humidity overall seem to be on the low side for Talangensis, it is a picky plant when it comes to humidity. From what I have gathered, it truly needs constant high humidity.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree so. However, some people successfully grow the harder plants indoors in windowsills. Rajah, and some other tough to grow species have been grown in household conditions. However, I will see what works for me. Again, I agree with your point but perhaps this can be an experiment. . Also, I love your windowsill growing thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast