What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes talangensis problems

Hi, I have heard about this troubling plant, and now I have one. I have read much/most of the cutivational information on this finicky plant. I know that:

1. It is hard to pitcher
2. It likes sunlight
3. It like higher humidity than most nepenthes
4. It needs a nighttime drop in temperatures
5. The pitchers are beautiful:banana2:

My Nepenthes talangensis is in a sunny sout facing windowsill. There are holes in the pot for adequate drainage and there is a mound of long fiber sphagnum moss around it for humidity. The eindow opens up at night and day (sometimes) for ventilation and lowering of temps. In my opinion, it is not getting enough humidity even though I have no proof of this. I also have a Nepenthes singalana berilang and a Nepenthes spectablis x aristolochioides on the windowsill; the latter is inflating a pitcher.
Any other suggestions for my Nepenthes talangensis? I am a fairly patient person, so I could wait 9+ months for it to acclimadize to itscurrent conditions. There are many experienced and wise growers on this forum. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean by "sunny"? Does it receive direct sunlight for several hours? I find if it does not receive the direct sunlight, it won't pitcher. Humidity is crucial to it, although you may acclimate it to low humidity. But initially, you need to first provide it with high humidity, and very slowly gradually reduce the humidity. The pot, although covered with wet moss, cannot increase the local humidity too much, especially when there is obvious air-movement or it is completely open to the room. You can cover the pot with a bottle without bottom but with a narrow mouth (e.g. remove the bottom of a Coke's bottle).

Your other two neps are very easy-growing neps, and even can pitcher around 30% humidity.

Hope this helpful.

I sunny, I mean direct sunlight from 10 a.m. to around three o' clock p.m.

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

To clear things up, I have a shelf that extends to about the heaight of the windowsill, so they get quit a bit of light.

I also mist it around three to two times a day.

So, the sunlight is sufficient. Then probably the only problem is the humidity. Try a humidity meter to measure your humidity?

The humidity is around 45% when it gets the most sun and gradually gets up to around 80% during the night according to the clock in my house. My clock has a humidity meter.

Your humidity overall seem to be on the low side for Talangensis, it is a picky plant when it comes to humidity. From what I have gathered, it truly needs constant high humidity.

Yes, I agree so. However, some people successfully grow the harder plants indoors in windowsills. Rajah, and some other tough to grow species have been grown in household conditions. However, I will see what works for me. Again, I agree with your point but perhaps this can be an experiment. :-D . Also, I love your windowsill growing thread.

be prepared to wait out for 9 months. my N. talangensis stopped pitchering for me until the winter. that being said, this plant needs solid, or even lower than average highland conditions in order to do well. it's temperament is similar to N. aristolochioides, possibly even a little more picky.

Yes, I am quite patient as I tend to somewhat not think about the things that do not pitcher for me. I have read a lot about this plant. ;)

My talangensis doesn't seem to care to awfully much about humidity or light, as long as it gets at least 40%+ humidity and bright shade it seems to find that acceptable, but heat is a big problem. If there is no other way, I have found that daytime temps can be as high as the mid 80s, but you better have a nighttime low in the 50s and maybe, if you can swing it, even the high 40s wouldn't be a bad idea. For my plant cool nights are a must, definitely priority one.

My temps in the night are around 45 to 65 depending on whether I open the windowsill or not. I live in CA, so the nights are naturally cold but rarely freezing.

ive always had problems with talangensis until recently, when my plants just started to take off and pitcher out of nowhere, humidity, light, and temperatures are absolutely key for this plant, and it seems you have to have them all in sync with its expectations otherwise it just grows but never pitchers.... IIRC even Rob Cantley has a problem with this species...

Will burying the tendrils work?
Theoretically, this would create a moist cool and consistant environment.
This method works with other nepenthes, too.

Hmmm that i have never hearf of before that just might work

Will burying the tendrils work?
Theoretically, this would create a moist cool and consistant environment.
This method works with other nepenthes, too.

Yes, you can try. I've successfully used the burying method to encourage my talangensis to form pitchers. But this method may make the pitcher loss its color. See my pic here:

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=nepenthes&thread=4096&page=1

Here is an old thread when I first grew this species:

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=nepenthes&action=display&thread=3503&page=1

@ eou812 You should try. :)

@ zhilin Thank you very much for the info

update: The talangensis is growing a new leaf that seems to be 0.5 cm bigger than the last one

question: Can the pitchers color up if u buried the tendrils in the soil, but then exposed the green pitchers to sunlight?

@sarr: you dont need to bury the tendrils, the plant does that itself. good luck!

Update:

1. The new leaf is about 1 cm larger than the previous leaf.
2. The tendril on he last leaf is burying itself in the sphagnum.
3. The pitcher seems to have caught a few miniscule black bugs

How long does it take for the pitcher to form? I heard that it takes about 6 months, but I am not too sure

Thanks everyone:banana2:

i think it can last up to six months, but in optimal conditions, pitchers should inflate and mature within 4-6 weeks...

Back