Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes burbidgeae X edwardsiana cultivation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes burbidgeae X edwardsiana cultivation

After doing research, I found that there is not much cultivation information on N. burbidgeae X edwardsiana. This plant definitely is on my want list. From what I have read,

1. This hybrid can grow in lowland conditions. Someone on this forum accidently put this plant in a lowland tank because of a labels mixup. It seemed to do very well and made a great pitcher. Also on another forum, someone grew this hybrid in a lowland nepenthes tank and it did great.

2. This species needs cooler temperatures? I read this on another forum and it seems logical, as both parents are highlander nepenthes. On wikipedia, it is also stated that nepenthes burbidgeae grows 50% slower without a drop to 65 degrees F (18 degrees C)

3. It is sensitive to water quility more than other nepenthes.

In summary, it seems to be able to tolerate a wide variety of temps. Reports of people growing edwardsiana say that growing this species is not nearly as hard to grow as villosa. Plus, there possibly is hybrid vigor in this hybrid. Any other info? I am planning to get this plant in the future and grow it in a sunny windowsill, as I live in CA. This plant seems quite waxy, so it seems to be feasible to grow it in 35% to 80% humidity. Any other info on this wonderful hybrid? There are quite a few growers of this plant, so please speak up. Thanks in advance in any other replies.
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you had any luck answering those questions? I have just received a young plant of this type (only 2 inches across) and would love any additional info you may have on N. Burbidgeae x Edwardsiana.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hybrid vigor?!?! Hah! It's one of the slowest growers I have. Two pitchers a year at best. This plant is for skilled growers only, IMO.
    i wonder if the OP had any luck with theirs?
    Last edited by Whimgrinder; 01-03-2015 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that this cross was a little finickier than other hybrids but still not overly demanding. If my plant experienced stress or drastic changes in the growing environment it would be prone to "freezing up" a little more than my other plants. I think over the course of a couple years it did go into suspended animation twice. But when it was in a good growing rhythm it would pitcher pretty regularly and consistently. My plant was able to withstand a few close calls with attacks from spider mites, drying out and sub-par growing conditions, though robust and vigorous is not how I would describe it.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    ...robust and vigorous is not how I would describe it.
    Exactly. This is a "poster boy" example of a plant that does not display hybrid vigor. Although many hybrids do enjoy accelerated growth and superior robustness as a result of their hybrid nature, this is not always the case and you should not assume that hybrid always = "vigorous and easy-to-grow".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not super difficult to grow from my experience but definitely not a windowsill candidate. It seems to need really high humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    It's not super difficult to grow from my experience but definitely not a windowsill candidate. It seems to need really high humidity.
    Agreed. I have a younger plant than Paul does, so I'm not sure if it's a cross with different parents, but I find it easier than, I think, Paul finds his. Then again, mine is still young, so it has some protection that way. That said, it does require high humidity and nice temp drops to pitcher well. I can't imagine that it would do well long-term in a lowland tank.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NatchGreyes View Post
    Agreed. I have a younger plant than Paul does, so I'm not sure if it's a cross with different parents, but I find it easier than, I think, Paul finds his. Then again, mine is still young, so it has some protection that way. That said, it does require high humidity and nice temp drops to pitcher well. I can't imagine that it would do well long-term in a lowland tank.
    This is a single clone, produced by tissue culture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast