Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes rafflesiana Adaptability

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i meant would a smaller plant be able to adapt to cooler temps where a larger one that grew longer under warmer temps i thought would have a harder time adjusting......just wondering if there was a diference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rball0406 View Post
    i meant would a smaller plant be able to adapt to cooler temps where a larger one that grew longer under warmer temps i thought would have a harder time adjusting......just wondering if there was a diference
    Smaller plants are always more vulnerable to damage when conditions change than a larger plant. This said, I believe that if you start it off in high humidity, aka a bag, and slowly harden it off, it may do well. I believe a raff will be my next experiment, after I get my hamata on it's feet after it arrives.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you dont mind me asking what is the plant that is purple directly behind the main pitcher in the second last picture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glen, you forgot to mention your all powerful "Green Thumb". They are beautiful, as always. Thanks for sharing the pictures and you expertise!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's right about gradually hardening the plants you mean to grow in lower humidity than they were getting. They can get shocked and take a while to come back if a change is sudden. Better to be sneaky about it.

The purple pitcher in the background is a N. boschiana x densiflora.

Keith, that's not a green thumb. I got into some algae and had some trouble cleaning it off.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

rball: I just want to add that I have a lot of confidence in the ability of these plants to adapt, and I don't think you should have any trouble acclimating a plant of any size. I never had any trouble like that with them, and I have been brutal sometimes. (I have since mended my ways.)

Here's a picture of the N. boschiana x densiflora, in case anyone wants a better look at it:

Last edited by nepguy; 03-24-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some of the most spectacular N. rafflesiana's i have seen yet . makes me want to go out and get my own right now
    --------
    z

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Really? Do you think 45-50 at night for a couple months won't kill a raff, with 80ish % humidity at night and 10-30% humidity during the day? I reeeeaaally want one with the frilly tendrils
    I don't think it will be easy in those conditions. I tried growing a medium raff (~6" leaf span) in similar conditions, and it didn't last long at all. Maybe if you started with a very large, well-established plant it could hold on for a couple months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jurow View Post
    I don't think it will be easy in those conditions. I tried growing a medium raff (~6" leaf span) in similar conditions, and it didn't last long at all. Maybe if you started with a very large, well-established plant it could hold on for a couple months.
    I thought thez_yo was being rhetorical in his original comment, and I thought it would be a moot point to say that adaptability has limits (for any plant). Mine never seemed to mind an occasional drop below 60, but I don't think it would be a good idea to put a N. rafflesiana where nights go consistently down into the 40s or even the 50s for any length of time. Having said that, I must admit that I've never tried it.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ellisonk001 View Post
    Glen, you forgot to mention your all powerful "Green Thumb". They are beautiful, as always. Thanks for sharing the pictures and you expertise!
    I was thinking about the comment you posted, Keith, and while I really appreciate your confidence in me, I'm a little uncomfortable with being designated as having a green thumb that is "all powerful." I'm not sure I can live up to it. I tend to think that any successes I've had must be due to the sheer mercy of God because I've killed an awful lot of plants over the years through dumb mistakes that could have been easily avoided through a little research or just paying more attention. I'm not sure I am safe yet. Thanks, though. I'll try to live up to your kind enthusiasm and make sure my murderin' days is over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast