Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nepenthes rafflesiana Adaptability

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nepguy View Post
    I thought thez_yo was being rhetorical in his original comment, and I thought it would be a moot point to say that adaptability has limits (for any plant). Mine never seemed to mind an occasional drop below 60, but I don't think it would be a good idea to put a N. rafflesiana where nights go consistently down into the 40s or even the 50s for any length of time. Having said that, I must admit that I've never tried it.
    Looking back on the thread, you're probably right. However, if I was naive enough to try it, I might as well share my experience and save others the trouble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, I was perfectly serious - I really want one, and I'm not quite sure how low it can go before getting cold damaged. I really wish someone would go scavenge up a highland raff and amp... I've just had an amp for about 6 months from 1200 masl and it didn't do well in highland conditions at all, and I get the feeling it will want lowland conditions after all even though it's from intermediate-ish temps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Oh no, I was perfectly serious - I really want one, and I'm not quite sure how low it can go before getting cold damaged. I really wish someone would go scavenge up a highland raff and amp... I've just had an amp for about 6 months from 1200 masl and it didn't do well in highland conditions at all, and I get the feeling it will want lowland conditions after all even though it's from intermediate-ish temps.
    I understand. I still think you could grow a N. raffesiana, but you might have to think differently about how to do it. Assuming your household temperatures are normal, and not the ones you described (I hope!), and assuming your heat in the winter does not dry out the air so much that you bleed, you could grow a raff inside as a houseplant all year in a bright location near a south, east, or even west window, no problem.

A raff will slow down considerably in the winter, or even stop growing for a period due to the shorter days, but it will start up again in the spring. It would be even better to grow it inside as a houseplant under artificial lights (cool white fluorescents are fine). I say that because raffs grow slowly, and in natural light you probably won't be getting mature pitchers before the summer. That won't happen under lights, assuming it likes the conditions you can give it.

If extreeemely low humidity is a real problem in the house, you can mist the plant occasionally or make a humidity tray to put under the pot. It also helps to create a micro-climate for it within a grouping of companion plants. Those things help a lot more than you might think they would.

I failed in my one attempt to grow a N. ampullaria as a houseplant, and never tried it again because they grow pretty well in my lowland tank, but I believe it's possible because some trustworthy folks told me that they have successfully grown them that way. However, if you like amps, I have a suggestion that might be a nice alternative: N. x hookeriana is a hybrid between N. rafflesiana and N. amplullaria, and many clones look just like amps, only bigger. I am assuming that they grow very well as houseplants, because mine does. The only thing with them is that you probably won't be seeing many ground rosettes, like you do with an amp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... yeah, the window didn't have enough light for the amp to not-get poutey, so I might just not be able to grow lowlanders. It's a shame

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jurow View Post
    Looking back on the thread, you're probably right. However, if I was naive enough to try it, I might as well share my experience and save others the trouble.
    It's kind of you to share that. I've lost plants myself from not knowing the culture, or from trying to get away with inadvisable things when I knew better. Sometimes you luck out with those kinds of blunders and find out you can stretch the limits of culture. Other times you just find out what kills nepenthes, but that's helpful, too. Good growing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123