User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: hairy Nepenthes hamata or Nepenthes edwardsiana?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman View Post
    If it's genetically identical, there is no reason that, given the right conditions, it shouldn't look just like the photo. Anyhow, I've looked at other photos besides Chien's, and while his photo is superb, other photographs of the clones sold in 2009 look promising.
    It can't be genetically identical....TC plants are started using seeds...the one Chien took a pic of was in the wild I think...or at the very least a seperate seedgrown plant.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    It can't be genetically identical....TC plants are started using seeds...the one Chien took a pic of was in the wild I think...or at the very least a seperate seedgrown plant.
    If you start a tissue culture with seeds, what happens when you run out of seeds?

I believe a cutting was taken of the plant, and then cultured. Given the properties of the apical meristem and axillary buds, a plant could be grown out of either of those given the right conditions, unless there is something I don't know about.

In any event, I am going to do some research and try to get a definitive answer on exactly where they are getting he original clones from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you start a tissue culture with seeds, what happens when you run out of seeds?

I believe a cutting was taken of the plant, and then cultured. Given the properties of the apical meristem and axillary buds, a plant could be grown out of either of those given the right conditions, unless there is something I don't know about.

In any event, I am going to do some research and try to get a definitive answer on exactly where they are getting he original clones from.
    You use hormones to make the seedling divide.....it's how most Nepenthes TC is done...you can get an infinite number of seedlings from a single seed....apical meristem culture with Nepenthes is still experimental..it does work, but with great difficulty.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 04-02-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: N. A.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    You use hormones to make the seedling divide.....it's how most Nepenthes TC is done...you can get an infinite number of seedlings from a single seed....apical meristem culture with Nepenthes is still experimental..it does work, but with great difficulty.
    Thanks Exo, that was actually a good answer

I am unfamiliar with the exact workings of tissue culture, but I do know a bit about plant morphology and physiology. I am hoping it is an exact clone of the plant, as I feel it would be deceptive if they advertised it as the N. hamata (Red Hairy) when it was originally bred with a typical to produce the seed for TC. As much of a respectable group BE is, I would not want to think they would do that.

Edit:
    Is it actually possible that it was seed collected from two natural growing (red hairy) forms of Nepenthes hamata? Seeing as how there are different types of other Nepenthes that grow and reproduce amongst their population naturally, it doesn't seem out of the bounds to say that the seed could be from a male (red hairy) and a female (red hairy).
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 04-02-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: N. A. - in plant names single quotes are reserved for use with cultivar names

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Exo, that was actually a good answer

I am unfamiliar with the exact workings of tissue culture, but I do know a bit about plant morphology and physiology. I am hoping it is an exact clone of the plant, as I feel it would be deceptive if they advertised it as the N. hamata (Red Hairy) when it was originally bred with a typical to produce the seed for TC. As much of a respectable group BE is, I would not want to think they would do that.

Edit:
    Is it actually possible that it was seed collected from two natural growing (red hairy) forms of Nepenthes hamata? Seeing as how there are different types of other Nepenthes that grow and reproduce amongst their population naturally, it doesn't seem out of the bounds to say that the seed could be from a male (red hairy) and a female (red hairy).
    I do believe that the red hairy is not a particular individual, but an actual variety...there is more than one, and I even think that long ago there were seedgrown plants that were released.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 04-02-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: N. A.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    N. edwardsiana for sure. Been wanting it since I first saw it over 10 years ago. To me no other Nepenthes looks as prehistoric.
    Which is funny because it is fairly new...

"Mount Kinabalu was only formed around 1 million years ago and during the last ice age, around 20,000 to 10,000 years ago, it had an ice cap on its summit. As such, it appears that N. edwardsiana is a relatively recent species in evolutionary terms"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepenthes_edwardsiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    Which is funny because it is fairly new...

"Mount Kinabalu was only formed around 1 million years ago and during the last ice age, around 20,000 to 10,000 years ago, it had an ice cap on its summit. As such, it appears that N. edwardsiana is a relatively recent species in evolutionary terms"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepenthes_edwardsiana
    I get the feeling the toothed peristome of the toothy Nepenthes is a later evolutionary advancement due to other organisms fishing the trapped insects and other victims from the pitchers to eat for themselves. The trapping mechanisms would have developed, then other organisms start taking from the pitchers, and the pitchers become more toothy as a result.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 04-02-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: N. A. - the genus is Nepenthes, not neps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. I think you may be onto something. That is one Monkey Cup that most monkies s wouldn't dare try to steal from more than once.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast