User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seed grown N.hamata ? I think not !

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    to me, there is no difference between a "seed grown plant" and a "cutting of a seed grown plant"..what am I missing?
    Scot

Wouldn't comparing those two phrases sort of illustrate the difference in of itself?
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to me, there is no difference between a "seed grown plant" and a "cutting of a seed grown plant"..what am I missing?

Scot
    The difference between the two is that the "seed grown plant" is the plant, as it was, from seed. Meaning that nobody else will have a plant with the exact same sequence of DNA. A cutting of a seed grown plant (which is kind of a stupid phrase, as they are all seed grown) basically means that it is not genetically unique, and some other collector out that has, essentially, the same plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman View Post
    The difference between the two is that the "seed grown plant" is the plant, as it was, from seed. Meaning that nobody else will have a plant with the exact same sequence of DNA. A cutting of a seed grown plant (which is kind of a stupid phrase, as they are all seed grown) basically means that it is not genetically unique, and some other collector out that has, essentially, the same plant.
    ah..ok, now I understand..
    I never knew it was something desirable among Nepenthes growers to own a totally unique plant..I dont really see that with VFTs or Sarrs, where nearly every plant in cultivation is NOT unique to only one grower, and this is simply the norm, and not even thought about.

I still dont quite understand why anyone really cares about "nobody else will have a plant with the exact same sequence of DNA"..but to each their own!
    I guess it could be considered a point of pride or something..hmmm..
    never even thought about that until this thread! interesting..

Scot

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah..ok, now I understand..
    I never knew it was something desirable among Nepenthes growers to own a totally unique plant..I dont really see that with VFTs or Sarrs, where nearly every plant in cultivation is NOT unique to only one grower, and this is simply the norm, and not even thought about.

I still dont quite understand why anyone really cares about "nobody else will have a plant with the exact same sequence of DNA"..but to each their own!
    I guess it could be considered a point of pride or something..hmmm..
    never even thought about that until this thread! interesting..

Scot
    Yea apparently nep growers like seedgrown plants alot. As a dionaea grower clones are what im used to hunting down. if its from a seed it doesnt fit the bill.. its cool but it isnt the cultivar so you cant label it that way

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thank the few of you who knew what they were talking about and for appreciating my situation. The rest, ugh. Just don't reply if you don't know. I don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    I bought this as a "seed grown 07" Nepenthes hamata. B.S. !! If this a seed grown plant, I apparently need to learn a little more about the root systems and growing habits of Nepenthes ! I never would have bought it for what I paid knowing it was a cutting ! Give me some educated opinions here before I spazz on this guy.
    UGH Against my better judgement I am going to chime in here even though based on later replies it seems you are not wanting anyone to disagree with you. So before I do, I would like to state:
    This is not my plant. I don't know who's plant it is and I don't care, I am simply replying because I believe you are incorrect that it is a rooted cutting. I am not going to address any arguements on whether or not a cutting from a seed grown plant is still a seed grown plant or whatever.

Here you can clearly see this is the cut end of a tendril.
    Photobucket
    Actually I don't clearly see this is the cut end of a tendril (which I think you mean stem but that is neither here nor there). I have grown many nepenthes from seed over the years and after a number of years the lower portion of the original stem dies off as new roots form and grow higher up the stem. This can lead to the bottom looking like it was once the bottom of a cut stem even though it isn't.

The long fat light colored roots don't form quickly on rooted cuttings, it takes years. The other telltale sign is the light colored knobby underground stem, which is more root like than stem like, because it formed from the original tap root and not from buried stem. I have never seen the underground stem from a rooted cutting look like this even after being grown for years and repotted multiple times along the way. The underground stem will still remain looking like the above ground portion even when it turns brown.

These next 2 pics show what looks to me like new growth sprouting from a cutting, tell me I'm wrong.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

I really hope I'm wrong here.
    Obviously there was some growth above the current rosette. What happened to it? I don't know. Maybe someone cut the top of the plant off. Maybe it broke off accidently. Maybe it died off.. yes that can happen and happen more frequently than I would like to admit. Particularly with some species over others. From the photos though it looks to me like a basal shoot that formed at or just below the soil surface where the old dead cut leaves are showing. Probably in response to whatever caused the top of the plant to no longer be there. Based on the number of green leaves, it has been growing for some time as well, probably a year or two. So to me it is clear you got the whole bottom portion of a seed grown plant.

Edit:
    Oh I also wanted to add that it doesn't appear to be the happiest plant and probably gone through some rough times. The lower leaves are a bit .. hmm off looking.. ie not quite right and the root system is pretty scrawny. So I don't think this plant is in the best of shape which may explain why the main stem or growth point died off as well as much of the original root system.
    Last edited by Tony Paroubek; 04-01-2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: cuz
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rest, ugh. Just don't reply if you don't know.
    Sorry for replying.
    I forgot that you are Supreme Ruler of the Universe and get to tell all of us what we can and cant reply to..(you would think I would remember something like that!)
    I will try to remember next time, your Majesty.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a plant I sold to him it is not a cutting the growth point is a basal, the main vine was damaged and died, that is not a cutting, the plant was potted rather deep in it's pot, there is no area where the plant was cut off. That is a true basal from the base of the plant. It's not a cutting.

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

And fwiw I will no longer be selling plants to people I don't know because of this, this is flat out ridiculous for him to make this accusations. The white taproot in it's own is proof of this not being a cutting, the 07 does intact refer to the year the seed was germinated. It's not a serial number.
    The main vine was damaged and subsequently died and the basal took over. So I removed the original growth point as far as i could without damaging the new growth, for awhile even the basal was looking iffy in health but it has made a remarkable come back in the last few months, so before you "spazz" on me, maybe you should get your facts straight.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast