Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Nepenthes aristolochioides limping along

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    You will see mites on the swab if they're around. Swab each leaf bottom. It helps to use a magnifying glass so you know it's not dust.

I used my jeweler's loop and a pocket microscope and there was nothing that jumped out to me as "mite." To be safe, I made a 2:1 Distilled water : 91% isopropyl alcohol and applied it with a Q-tip.
    I then rearranged my terrarium so it is on the cooler side, (the near-by thermometer read 75 degrees F today, where the other thermometer on the other side read 80). Additionally, i put a sandwich bag over the pot, with a pretty large hole in it to increase the humidity substantially but, hopefully, not to increase the heat too much.

Unfortunately, when I change so many factors, its hard to tell which one worked, and i run the risk of shocking the plant.
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy update!

Hey guys!

Thank you everyone for all the great advice that you gave me before. It has been bagged and growing slowly in highland conditions for a while now. And one day I saw a tendril that looked like it might inflate! Then another! And now it is big enough for me to take a picture of and show you guys.

Still quite small, obviously, but big enough to feed a single freeze-dried blood worm to! It is still covered in a sandwich bag (removed for photo) that has two holes cut into it. I've been working at it, and it seems that my humidity stays around 60% during the day, which is pretty ideal I believe. I'm being brave and slowly acclimating it. But honestly? It can live under that bag forever if thats what makes it happy!

Thanks again,
    CJ
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome story of success!

I want one bad!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of N. aristolochioides: does anyone have a seed-grown one available for trade??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unstuckintime thats strange i got mine from the same place at the same time and now is in less than good conditions and its growing fast it is 2-3 in tall an inch taller than when i got it and its pitchering almost every leaf its 2 in diamiter
    now i changed its place it is in a area with 90% humidity and 77 degree days and 68-70 degree nights
    or should i move it to my new villosa tank? 40-50 degree nights and 70 degree days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how big was yours when you got it? me being me i picked one of the biggest ones so it might be that mines is older and easier because you have better conditions that me i have 1 4foot t5 light 50 watts and now i changed it to 1 2foot t5 24 watt

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm not the only one getting pissed at my aristo, huh?

Mine is growing and putting out leaves the same size as the previous ones, but it is doing so very slowly and none of the pitcher will inflate. Hopefully when my new swamp cooler gets here this week, I can set it up on the weekend and see how it cools and humidifies.

In the meantime, is there any way to raise the humidity around the plant without heating it up too much?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the daytime humidity is as low as you've suggested, this is very likely the reason it isn't pitchering. Did you ever look into acquiring one of the hose-end fogging nozzles I suggested (repeatedly!)?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast