What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep. Coffee Question

I don't think I've ever seen this issue brought up in a post...

Does it matter what kind of coffee you use???
As in Brewed Vs. Instant???
Does it have to be Brewed Or Will Instant Work???

I'm a big coffee drinker at the office, but for what ever reason I never make coffee at home...
I don't even have a coffee maker...

Is Instant Coffee Ok To Use On Neps???

Thanx...

Last edited:
I've never tried, but my every suspicion tells me that instant coffee would not be ideal. If you don't make coffee at home, go to your local Starbucks and ask if they have any grounds for mulch. They keep spent grounds and package it up for people to use in their gardens. I usually take that stuff, put it in a tall stockpot full of water, and simmer it for several hours until it's nice and black and soupy. You can strain the grounds out and boil them again, sometimes three or four times total. The leftover grounds can be used as a soil amendment, but I wouldn't give them to CPs - too many free nutrients, they'll attract mold or other nasties. You can mix it into media for your conventional houseplants or mulch it into garden soil though.
~Joe

Have heard about the coffee thing with nepenthes,
So this is like a foliar thing or what?
is it use to spray the long leaves of nepenthes, or just to feed the pitchers?
How exactly does this works?

Thank you in advanced! :D

you poor it on the soil like water.

So i would be watering, or misting my nepenthes with water mix with the coffee? and the coffee has to be ground mulch coffee?
I grow my nepenthes in LFSM, and i mist with rain water almost every hour, so i would be misting with coffee if i try that? By doing this, can i mist the coffee with the plant as well, or will it have a negative effect if i mist my nepenthes leaves with coffee?
Very interesting, do you have any source explanining this completely, effect on the plant...etc.
Thank you in advanced! :)
and thanks for the answer!

So i would be watering, or misting my nepenthes with water mix with the coffee? and the coffee has to be ground mulch coffee?
I grow my nepenthes in LFSM, and i mist with rain water almost every hour, so i would be misting with coffee if i try that? By doing this, can i mist the coffee with the plant as well, or will it have a negative effect if i mist my nepenthes leaves with coffee?
Very interesting, do you have any source explanining this completely, effect on the plant...etc.
Thank you in advanced! :)
and thanks for the answer!

You should water the plants through with coffee once a month, then flush the pots with lots of clean water a day or two later to prevent soil breakdown.

Thank you Exo, i was just looking at a thread somewhere in here that talked about 1 time per 6 months is fine, but i think i will go for 1 time per 2 months, does that sounds good?

Thank you Exo, i was just looking at a thread somewhere in here that talked about 1 time per 6 months is fine, but i think i will go for 1 time per 2 months, does that sounds good?

Yeah..That sounds good to me..I have heard of people using it rather often and it seems to be safe, but every few months seems to be a good idea.

I've used both.. as long as it's caffeinated there is no difference.

Also, do you just use as much coffee as you want, or how much coffee should i use for a sprayer of:
(650ML)-(.65L)??

Thanks once more! :) I can't wait to try this with some of my neps! :D

What i want to know is who decided to dump coffee on their prized neps in the first place.

LOL maybe they just got careless and spilled it on the plants. :) Isn't coffee used as a soil additive for lots of plants and gardens? I just tried some on a few of my neps so... we'll see.

Also, do you just use as much coffee as you want, or how much coffee should i use for a sprayer of:
(650ML)-(.65L)??

Thanks once more! :) I can't wait to try this with some of my neps! :D

Pour about 8oz. through each pot.. and let it drain completely.

Back