Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Nepenthes

Nepenthes Miranda. Has quite a few growth points. I got it last fall, finally got one in good condition. Has been growing in my window this winter so that's why it's growing sideways.

When I bought this from a local nursery it was labled as nepenthes rafflesiana. It started pitchering this winter(surprisingly since lower light levels), and looks more like a Ventrata. The pitchers have also been producing a sweet nectar on the rim of the pitchers, which apparently was very effective, since it attracted 2 bugs into one of the pitchers in 1 day.

Closeup of my biggest pitcher so far.

Nepenthes Truncata(I think it's the highland one, whatever one is the slower growing one). Shrunk a bit since I got it, hopefully it gets some size back. Has been pitchering though every time so it's doing well.

Nepenthes Sanguinea. Was my other first plant. It was a monster but late last summer it started not forming leaves. If anyone knows what's going on let me know.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sanguinea is absolutely bizarre. I've never seen a plant do that before. Perhaps there are pests attacking the growth point? It doesn't really look like it from what I can see, though. Maybe the water you're using is too heavy? Perhaps it accidentally got some fertilizer? Strange!

Your other Neps look terrific though, props.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the years I've had one or two plants do what your N. sanguinea is doing there. I threw out those plants because I didn't know what was making it grow like that. Cutting the growing tip did not allow a decent new growth point to start up, just more weird leaves formed so I assume it is a virus of some sort.

Perhaps it accidentally got some fertilizer?
    I fertilize my Neps with a weak solution of orchid fertilizers (1/4 - 1/2 strength) as well as feed the pitchers with insects. The worst thing I've seen too much ferts do is make the plant grow faster but not make any new pitchers for a while, possibly until you repot depending how much you've done it.

But I don't think over fertilization could be the cause of this plants malady. Perhaps Kulamauiman would know cos I'd like to know as well next time I see it develop in a new plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I use rain water, which I have been using forever. The only big thing that changed was I repotted it last year. It went from peat/ vermiculite to LFS/orchid bark.