What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland Cuttings?

lizasaur

Charlatan
The process of rooting Nepenthes cuttings is pretty simple to me, and I've had decent enough success so far, but so far, I've only done intermediate/highland cuttings.
After a squirrel attack, my N. Sanguenia and N. Madagascariensis were snapped in half.
Obviously I'm going to keep the base, hoping for a new growth point (actually, Madagascariensis has a little basal forming.) but I'd like to save the tops, if possible. The problem is, if I were to bag these....they'd undoubtedly roast...and it's too hot for live LFS out there, I think...so I was just wondering...would it be safe to root them in intermediate conditions and move them back outside once they did root, or just bag them with some holes, perhaps?

Thanks for the advice :)

Yeah, it would be safe to root them in intermediate conditions, just make sure the humidity is high and that the night temps don't drop below 65F. N.sanguinea is an intermediate already, and Madagascariensis is very tolerant as far as lowlanders go.

I've actually had far greater success with the bag method in lowland conditions than otherwise. I used to put my bags either in my lowland terrarium or find a bright spot on top of lights where the ballast would keep the bags warm and steamy. It didn't just work better that way for lowland plants, but highlanders too. That said, I was never really impressed by the bag method and these days I'm much happier with my own variation on water cloning.
~Joe

@Exo: Thanks, good to know :)
@Seedjar: How very curious...You know, that reminds me actually, when I started my N. Ventricosa 'Red' cutting, it had to be started in water. Hm...perhaps I'll let these cuttings soak for a good 48 hours like I did with the vent. I guess the other secret is holes in the bag, eh? I don't recall what it was, but last year I killed something in less than 3 days by bagging it outside without ventilation...in direct sun. :0o:

I've actually had far greater success with the bag method in lowland conditions than otherwise. I used to put my bags either in my lowland terrarium or find a bright spot on top of lights where the ballast would keep the bags warm and steamy. It didn't just work better that way for lowland plants, but highlanders too. That said, I was never really impressed by the bag method and these days I'm much happier with my own variation on water cloning.
~Joe

Hmm...I often find that high temperatures stress out cuttings...even lowland cuttings. I've always had better luck keeping them at about 75F and in very high humidity untill they start growing again.

Back