What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamata questions

I am getting a clone 1 hamata and I have questions about them : i have heard that they like 85 % humidity but my tank stays at 90 % is this ok , also how big should the tank be i have 5 gallons , and is it ok to keep it in my basement if i use a heater durring the day ? :banana2::banana2::banana2::boogie:

That humidity is ok the more the better with Nepenthes hamata. If it's not a small to medium sized plant it will do a small or larg plant you might want it in a bigger tank if it's like a seedling then it should do great. wide it should do good in the tank. Sure it's ok to keep it in your basement just keep the right growing requirements and you can grow it anywhere.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Your welcome anytime. :)

You may want to check out some other threads here on the forum. True most hamata coming from wistuba require a good deal of care and high humidity initially as they are small and typically fresh out of TC. But a hamata, once established, doesn't necessarily need constant high humidity to grow. Some people here on the forum grow them as windowsill plants.

The two I have grown received 50-60% humidity from the first day I got them, but they were a little bigger and hardened off by the previous growers.

Why would you need a heater during the day? As long as you can provide a significant nighttime drop in temperature, as well as ample light, you shouldn't have a problem :) The humidity levels you have sound fine to me, BTW...

thanks guys and petmantis i thought i might need a heater so that my plant would not freeze

I love hamatas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That humidity is ok the more the better with Nepenthes hamata. If the plant is not more than 5 inches tall or more than 6 inches wide it should do good in the tank. Sure it's ok to keep it in your basement just keep the right growing requirements and you can grow it anywhere.

Hope this helps :)

how are you going to give out exact sizes to the plants that need specific needs?

let me give you a basic rundown on how ive grown hamata successfully over the last couple of years...

starting out as a small plant, wistuba clone or not, they can be a bit tricky, needing decent humidity and lighting, and never letting the plant itself dry out because it will send it on a downhill spiral rather quickly at a small size....
as the plant increases in size (if grown properly, this will happen rather quickly, as hamata is quite a quick grower in highland standards IMO) the plant will become more hardy, and be able to grow just fine as a windowsill plant even.
Saying a small plant cannot grow in a tank, is completely untrue and as a small plant, i would almost recommend this over anything other than a nice highland greenhouse.
giving the plants light fertilizer treatments such as a diluted orchid fert, or max-sea will be beneficial, though if fed through its pitchers, the pitchers may die off a bit faster...
ive always preferred the coffee treatment, though i would allow the plant to establish itself before this is done...
My plants have always done best with daytime temps in the mid 70s to low 80s, and nights in the mid to upper 50s and humidity levels between 60-100%
they do like to have quite a bit of light as well.

When you receive you Wistuba hamata, i would be careful once you pot it up, to cover it in a plastic bag, and over the period of a few weeks or a month or so, add slits into the bag until the RH inside the back, is the same as to what it will be outside of the bag where the plant will be grown.

once the plants reach a size where you can feed them easier through the pitchers, ive noticed that ontop of a light coffee treatment every couple of months or so, they like to have betta fish pellets added into the traps, 1 or 2 is fine at a small size, and you can feed every trap.

If there are ample amounts of spring tails or fungus gnats or any of the sort in the growspace, do not worry about feeding them, they will do it all on their own, but will of course always appreciate a light fertilizer.

Enjoy your new plant, and one of the most bizarre species of Nepenthes :)

Last edited:
I am also waiting for mine in the mail and it should be here anytime! I can't wait. I think I am going to use a humidity dome out of an old 2 liter soda bottle and put holes in it over weeks til it is the same as my terrarium, which is usually 55-75%. My temps are 75 during the day and 60 at night.

Back