What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes macrophylla

Thats an insane plant man. Great luck Sk on getting that baby. Very very nice. I just got a new one...that is like smaller than the pitcher on yours. lol

Varun, good luck with your new baby macro man... What clone did you get? I'm thinking that this plant definitely likes having more air to the roots than most neps... I don't have a way to experiment but the root ball is actually just at the pot level on this guy... When I potted it up, because of the existing traps, it did not want to sit down in the pot all the way, so I did a mound of media similar to what I do with cephs, and obviously it has not had a problem... I'm shocked that it took right off, but what do you expect from an incredibly well hardened off plant from Tony? Well worth the money I spent... I prefer macro over eddy anyway haha.. Though I do like eddy don't get me wrong... Macro just has more appeal IMO... Can't wait to see how it kicks off in my GH this summer....

I thought BE had only one clone out there after the reduced it to one?

Yup! Thats what I thought as well. Infact I read it somewhere here: Tony mentioned that BE had 4 clones. 2 turned out as N. x trusmadiensis and one of the other two died and there is only one clone available.

I remember Tony had a batch of seedlings from the original release back in the day. Is this one of those Kris?

I am sure mine is a TC one. Its just around an inch in diameter.

this is a TC plant.. But on the subject of the Rob story via Tony, i was speaking to my friend the other day, Ron who when i brought up this story, immediately contacted Rob because one of the macrophylla he ordered from him on an import a number of years ago (3 or 4) looks far more like xTM than macrophylla (smaller, less pronounced teeth, flared peristome, narrow straplike leaves, not true macro traits at all) and Rob said he had never heard of this topic, but it had definitely sparked his interest.... I wonder if Tony got the AW story mixed up and confused with BE? I'm not sure... Maybe if we can get Rob himself to chime in somehow, or maybe break Tony in here and he can shine some more light on the subject

Rob is very busy getting ready for Chelsea. My conversation with Rob about the N. macrophylla clones was back in Jan. 2010. I have the BE N. trusmadiensis also and it is very clearly N. trusmadiensis looking even when young. BE having 2 clones of N. trusmadiensis seems to fit with the information Rob sent me regarding 2 of their 4 N. macrophylla clones turning out to be N. trusmadiensis. How all this relates to Ron and his plant and what timeframe beats me..Not sure I fully understand what you are saying about his conversation with Rob. There is deffinately not any confusion though whether I am talking about BE or AW. I don't know the origin of the AW trusmadiensis. For the longest time they had that N. macrophylla sorta looking thing which wasn't exactly N. macrophylla or N. trusmadiensis in my mind. Is this the plant they now list as N. trusmadiensis? Maybe Ron's plant is the clone that BE says they lost.. and it was some sort of mixed natural hybrid with a few N. lowii genes floating around somewhere in the background.

WOW, i love N macrophylla! Too bad I'm just too afraid to try it out under my conditions (not to mention its pricy price :)).

Tony thankyou for chiming in, I was saying that Ron had sent Rob an email asking him about this situation, and Rob apparently stated he had never heard of this situation and if Ron could take some pics of this supposed xTM macro wannabe, he would be interested in seeing them.

Back