What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes macrophylla

Macrophylla in the wild exhibits the flared peristome, but they have much more pronounced teeth than the 'fake' ones.

Either way, like jeremiah said, they're are beautiful :)

I've noticed that Trusmadiensis seems to have many more teeth, that are shorter and less pronounced, which I've seen in specimens in cultivation, and in that picture posted right there.

However, the pitchers on Jeremiah's plant (while stunning, yes), look very....Macrophylla-y to me, especially in the first picture of it. And in the newer pitchers, while the flaring is odd, it's not the same kind often derived from Lowii-influence, and it doesn't have any striping/redness in the peristome that Lowii crosses seem to have. Also, the teeth are more sparse and more defined.

Not only that, but in the second picture Kris posted, that pitcher seems to have the same...larger teeth and slight flaring of the peristome that Jeremiah's has.

Of course, I know diddly about genetics and traits and all, but I'm just making a humble opinion and observation using logic from what I have seen. :)

Here is the most similar looking wild plant I have seen to the AW clone.

05-27%20-%209%20-%20N.%20macrophylla%20(36).jpg

05-27%20-%209%20-%20N.%20macrophylla%20(57).jpg

Here is an even more N. lowii looking N. Trusmadiensis...note no hairs under the lid...
05-27%20-%2011%20-%20N.%20x%20trusmadiensis%20(3).jpg

-Jeremiah-

Thanks Jeremiah for the pictures, but do you or anyone have a picture of a larger plant for the AW clone that is the real one?

I don't, that is the only AW clone N. macrophylla I grow.

-Jeremiah-

My last discussion with Rob on the subject, they originally had 4 clones but lost one and two turned out as N. trusmadiensis so they are only producing a single clone as N. macrophylla.

I got my 2 macrophylla of different clones from AW yesterday. I read that one of his clones might be questionable but the other is the real macro so I got both for assurance. Can anyone with a large AW macro post a picture of their plant? Both AW clones if possible to see the differences in the pitchers.

smell,

Is the one on the right clone "T"? I believe it is the Wistuba clone closest to the "true" N. macrophylla. The plant on the right looks similar to clone 5, which will show N.lowii influence, as it matures.

Fanastic plant Kris. I can't believe its size. Holy ****. wow!!

I bid $9!

Wait, this isn't for auction, isn't it? :-(

I got my 2 macrophylla of different clones from AW yesterday. I read that one of his clones might be questionable but the other is the real macro so I got both for assurance. Can anyone with a large AW macro post a picture of their plant? Both AW clones if possible to see the differences in the pitchers.

smell,

Is the one on the right clone "T"? I believe it is the Wistuba clone closest to the "true" N. macrophylla. The plant on the right looks similar to clone 5, which will show N.lowii influence, as it matures.

I have no idea which is which, they were not labeled. I just know that they are the 2 different clones from AW. Hopefully the clone "T" will look something like this:
mmmmmmacrophylla.jpg

IIRC, thats Robin's plant and that is one the seedlings that BE released many years ago. AFAIK the current single clone is from that set of seed.

smell,
The T clone has proportionately wider leaves, and grows slower than clone 5, in my experience.

Here is a little update on its progress, has not skipped a beat and is already working on a pitcher for me...
May2011004.jpg

May2011002.jpg

May2011001.jpg

Woah...fiesty one, ain't it? :-O

so anxious to see how this new pitcher turns out for being the first in my care.... i received in on the 23rd IIRC so two weeks later, and its going strong... i changed up my growing media for this guy a little from my previous mix, i went with large chunk perlite/orchid bark/charcoal/LFS.... wondering if i should have kept sand or peat in the mix, but i dont see any benefit to the osmunda fiber i used before in my other mixes, other than more aeration but charcoal seems like it should be better in the mix than osmunda as well as filtering out any impurities.... im using my tapwater at my new house, i ran a TDS test on this water here, and it is only 3PPM more than my previous house. 24PPM there, 27PPM here.... thats still really freaking clean haha

Holy cow! Kris you have always made me drool!! Always getting nice plants! I need your contacts LOL.

Dang JB its been awhile.... lol this plant came from a well known person, no secret contact here....
Nepenthesmacrophylla004.jpg

Very awesome SirKristoff. Cant wait for an update once the pitcher opens :).

Back