What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. viking care from seeds.I need help

Do you live in the USA? If so then if you don't have paperwork for those seeds then you can get fined big time.

Are you serious?What kind of paperwork do you mean?

For the most part seeds discovered without papers will only be confiscated and you'll never get your package or you'll get an opened and empty package. Live Nepenthes plants however without paperwork (especially if the box is mislabeled as to it's actual contents) will be charged as smuggling endangered species and that can run into the thousands of dollars in fines. The paperwork is an import permit from the USDA and a separate one for CITES listed artificially propagated endangered plants. Keep in mind the SHIPPER also has to have all the appropriate paperwork on their end or your own permit doesn't mean jack and won't save you any trouble/fines if the shipper doesn't have things in order on their end...

Anyway, now that you have your seeds, surface sow them on a pot of moist shredded long fibered sphagnum moss and then mist them heavily so they get good contact with the soil and get moistened, don't bury them. Some people have success planting on peat and sand but I never use peat with my Nepenthes at all. Since N. viking are lowland it would be good to have them someplace moderately warm (70-80*F) and keep the substrate watered enough so the soil stays moist but not sopping. With any luck you'll get some germination in a few months or so. I finally got germination on N. pectinata and N. inermis seed and that gave me incentive to try a few other types, only time will tell... they do not tend to germinate quickly.

wow. I never knew that.Actually I did not receive them yet,but hopefully I will.Thanks for the advice.

Hi Shiner500. I bought from the same person,just looked at his feedback and seen that I left him positive feedback for quick delivery.
I bought mine end of April and planted them as soon as they arrived in finely chopped sphagnum moss.I mist sprayed them and covered the container with a see through top to keep humidity high.They have been planted about two weeks now and as soon as something happens(fingers crossed)I will take photos and put them on here.
Hope that you have good luck with yours and hope you will keep us informed as I would like to know how yours do.

I have raised many batches of Nepenthes from seed over the years; and my preference is for the use of straight milled sphagnum (usually available from orchid suppliers) or mixed a bit with quartz sand. I generally use covered germination trays to keep the humidity high; but also keep in mind that it can take several months for seed to germinate -- and I have even had stragglers after a year's time . . .

Back