What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

most sought-after/valuable nepenthes in the hobby?

Cephalotus

BANNED
Hi guys, I'm a long time lurker, and recently-registered community member. I think that this distinction would go to:

1) Nepenthes Edwardsiana
2) Nepenthes Villosa
3) Nepenthes Hamata (hairy red)
4) Nepenthes Hamata
5) Nepenthes Macrophylla
6) Nepenthes Rajah
7) Black Truncata

Does anyone know folks with seed-grown plants of any of the above?

Last edited:
No i don't think i do.

Most of those are hard to come by right now. Some are a little easier to come by like villosa and rajah (cheap too).

Many of the ones you mentioned are seemingly valuable or sought after not only because of thier beauty, but in thier difficulty to propagate and grow. They are slow growing so thier numbers in cultivation are small, but steadily increasing. As such, supply is low, demand is high, so perceived value is high. Give it a few years and some of these may be as cheap as villosa and rajah. Some, like standard clones of hamata, are already coming down in price.

I guess what I am trying to say is that your list although fairly accurate will change over time.

Wait, Rajah and Villosa are common now? How is this so?

I didn't say they were common. They are cheap and fairly available. They are available about once a year and can be obtained for around 20 bucks. This is for a small plant. A full grown adult specimen would be considerably more, if you can find one, since most people end up killing thier small plants before they reach maturity.

N. villosa, N. Rajah, N. Macrophylla are all pretty common now, many nurseries offer them.

N. hamata is very common now too, much more common the ones above, but still can cost a bit.

Black truncata has become available too, thanks to seed.

N. Edwardsiana is the rarest of these, even though it was released commercially last year, but in very limited quantities.

I'd say the rarest in cultivation now is N. Klossii, and N. hurrelliana.

Mostly, they've all become availble commercially thanks to Tissue culture propagation.

Wait, Rajah and Villosa are common now? How is this so?

Well not seedgrown for sure, but dashman is right - once or a couple times a year, there are rajahs all over the market for $20 (you just have to catch it at the right time), and Wistuba had a lot of villosas for sale last summer I think it was, and they were around for a good long while before they sold out. There was just a nice big pile of villosas and maybe macrophyllas for sale in Canada in the past month too.

There have been a lot of hamatas that people have been moving out of their collections on some of the other fora a lot in the past couple of months (vining ones at that), and in the past 6 months there have been some very nice and big/old macrophylla and edwardsiana on ebay. The latter was seedgrown, the former a BE clone (and a younger seedgrown macrophylla I think too). Same for hamatas - at least 3 seedgrown ones in the past six months I think on ebay. As for black truncata, a lot of vendors still have 'Queen of Hearts' x 'King of Spades' kicking around their sales lists so they're not all sold out yet.

But you do have perfect timing to get a hamata red hairy right now because BE is just releasing their second batch of TC clones.

jacquelineae x izumae is the hardest to get ahold off......ive publicly offered anyone to name their price and have not been able to get one to replace the one i lost......ive been able to buy any of the species named within the last year, some would have given me change out of a $20......

Here is my list. I am going to skew a little more to the valuable side then sought after. But then again demand determines price in a lot of cases. I am only going to list plants that are in cultivation to my knowledge.

1. Nepenthes × harryana (villosa x edwardsiana) - seed
  2. Nepenthes × kinabaluensis (villosa x rajah) - seed
  3. Nepenthes sp. "Sulawesi"
  4. Nepenthes sp. "Palawan"
  5. Nepenthes pitopangii - Not Certain this is in culvation
  6. Nepenthes x Alisaputrana (burbidgeae x rajah) - seed
  7. Nepenthes klossi
  8. Nepenthes attenboroughii - seed
  9. Nepenthes hurreliana - seed not tc
  10. Nepenthes edwardsiana - seed
  11. Nepenthes clipeata - seed
  12. Nepenthes aristolochiodies - seed
  13. Nepenthes x trusmadiensis - seed
  14. Nepenthes villosa - seed
  15. Nepenthes lamii - seed
  16. Nepenthes rigidifolia - (tc or seed)
  17. Nepenthes hamata 'hairy yellow or red' - seed
  18. Nepenthes rajah - seed
  19. Nepenthes flava - seed
  20. Nepenthes naga - tc or seed
  21. Nepenthes eymae - 'True Species' - seed
  22. Nepenthes macrophylla - seed
  23. Nepenthes jamban - seed
  24. Nepenthes hamata - typical or new location seed
  25. Nepenthes ephipiata - seed
  26. Nepenthes bokorensis - seed

i got one of those!! :spazz:
btw, what about sg peltata ?

good news about pitopangii: stew said the original site actually only contained one male clone (a giant one at that) but said a POPULATION was discovered at a different but nearby location. :)

cant wait till that one gets into cultivation....wont be anytime soon though.

My list is pretty short:
1. ventricosa x hamata
2. See #1

I'm surprised that you would rank hybrids above pure strains..

Here is my list. I am going to skew a little more to the valuable side then sought after. But then again demand determines price in a lot of cases. I am only going to list plants that are in cultivation to my knowledge.

1. Nepenthes × harryana (villosa x edwardsiana) - seed
  2. Nepenthes × kinabaluensis (villosa x rajah) - seed
  3. Nepenthes sp. "Sulawesi"
  4. Nepenthes sp. "Palawan"
  5. Nepenthes pitopangii - Not Certain this is in culvation
  6. Nepenthes x Alisaputrana (burbidgeae x rajah) - seed
  7. Nepenthes klossi
  8. Nepenthes attenboroughii - seed
  9. Nepenthes hurreliana - seed not tc
  10. Nepenthes edwardsiana - seed
  11. Nepenthes clipeata - seed
  12. Nepenthes aristolochiodies - seed
  13. Nepenthes x trusmadiensis - seed
  14. Nepenthes villosa - seed
  15. Nepenthes lamii - seed
  16. Nepenthes rigidifolia - (tc or seed)
  17. Nepenthes hamata 'hairy yellow or red' - seed
  18. Nepenthes rajah - seed
  19. Nepenthes flava - seed
  20. Nepenthes naga - tc or seed
  21. Nepenthes eymae - 'True Species' - seed
  22. Nepenthes macrophylla - seed
  23. Nepenthes jamban - seed
  24. Nepenthes hamata - typical or new location seed
  25. Nepenthes ephipiata - seed
  26. Nepenthes bokorensis - seed

Cephalotus,

We are talking about super-rare naturally occurring hybrids.

Most of the time these hybrids will come about from species' seed. So let say I have a batch of Nepenthes edwardsiana seeds growing, which is rare in-itself, the chances that a cross with villosa has occurred in these seeds or a single seed is even more rare. The Bornean highlan crosses Harryana, Kinabluensis, Alisaputrana, and Trusmadiensis have always been in high demand for the exceptional beauty and rarity.

Maybe hybrids should be excluded all together from the list.

Yeah, I think that hybrids should be excluded from this list altogether. Under no circumstance could I ever see a hybrid actually fetching more in the long term...

hybrids can often be harder to find/more expensive than pure species, especially if the hybrid was never put into TC......

There's plenty of man-made hybrids that far surpass the value of some of the species listed there... and some of these hybrids can surpass the beauty as well!

Hybrids can most definitely fetch more than pure species, there have been plenty of examples. Take a look around at CP suppliers and you will see.

dont understand the negative connotation some give to hybrids of a genus that regularly and willingly hybridizes in the wild.....

Yeah as far as I know, with AW's release of TC edwardsiana, hybrids like Kinabulensis, harryana or maybe even alisaputrana would probably fetch more than a TC edwardsiana these days.

Of course, N. klossi or N. pitopangii would probably fetch the highest dollar as far as species go, I would guess.

But then again, imagine if someone made a cultivated hybrid of say, N. edwardsiana x northiana. I think it would be a safe bet that that plant would fetch a HUGE amount of money compared to most species, regardless of whether they were seed grown or TC or not.

Back