Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Indoor Grown Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man,

Awesome setup I love it! kinda like mine except that I rigged my AC cooling rad to fit right into the tank. The RH was fine for the most part. It would drop to 65-70% but then rise when my control unit would turn on the humidifier.

Quote Originally Posted by mksmith View Post
    The A/C unit is positioned on a plastic crate overtop of a platic tub that collects access water from the A/C.
    I you want to get rid of the tray below the AC you can remove the eval fan from behind the cooling rad. If you do this the AC will no longer collect water and should run dry. Just a suggestion if you dont like the tray under it, or find it a pain having to empty it ever so often. If you want some more specific details on how to do this, it's pretty easy and I can walk you through it. Send me a PM if you like.

Amazing plants BTW, very awesome .
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent to hear! Is that the Sphagnum compactum we found in Surry? Those seedlings are tiny!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, everything is looking great!

Thanks for sharing!
    Check out my Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you tell if a seed is dead?
    How old is the N. lavicola seedling?
    Lance,

I am not sure there is any absolute way to tell if seed is not viable. Germination will usually occur in 60 days, but I have seen and heard longer. It often depends on how fresh the seed is but 60 days seems to be the average for highland species I have grown. I have experimented with using a tetrazolium chloride solution on seedlings to test viability, but Nepenthes seeds are so small it was hard to deduct one way or another. I think that testing viability may be fruit-less and the true test is simply if they germinate or not. Sometimes I have seen seed develop fungus or rot away, that combined with several months of waiting I can assume they are probably not going to germinate. The Nepenthes lavicola seedlings are 20 months old.

Code:
     Hey did you end up getting a tentac outta that place in half moon bay?
    Forgot about that tentaculata. I am only growing Gungung Murud BE-3192 clone and a couple seedlings. I had some seed from Sulawesi that got mold.

Code:
    Adorable seedlings, mk. Keep us updated as they grow.
    Thanks Meka, they are cute!

Code:
    I you want to get rid of the tray below the AC you can remove the eval fan from behind the cooling rad. If you do this the AC will no longer collect water and should run dry. Just a suggestion if you dont like the tray under it, or find it a pain having to empty it ever so often. If you want some more specific details on how to do this, it's pretty easy and I can walk you through it. Send me a PM if you like.
    robthered, I actually recycle the water that is collected in the tub that sits under the A/C. It fills up quickly, almost in a couple days and I reuse the water that it is pulling out of the air to refill the humidifier, that system has been working pretty well. I took a reading with a TDS meter and found the water to be less then 15 PPM so I have been using that to refill the humidifier. I would be interested maybe in the future to modify the A/C, but right now I am getting really good numbers. I can get the temperature inside the chamber/box down to 46-49 at night, which is amazing.

Excellent to hear! Is that the Sphagnum compactum we found in Surry? Those seedlings are tiny!
    Graham, Yea that is the sphagnum compactum that was collected. It had a really dry piece that was white and frail, I rehydrated it over a month or so. It is a really slow growing sphagnum and the tight heads make a nice bed for seedlings. I think this is going to be the start of the new way I will be germinating seeds. Yes they are tiny and stay that way for a while.

Code:
    Wow, everything is looking great!
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mksmith View Post
    robthered, I actually recycle the water that is collected in the tub that sits under the A/C. It fills up quickly, almost in a couple days and I reuse the water that it is pulling out of the air to refill the humidifier, that system has been working pretty well. I took a reading with a TDS meter and found the water to be less then 15 PPM so I have been using that to refill the humidifier. I would be interested maybe in the future to modify the A/C, but right now I am getting really good numbers. I can get the temperature inside the chamber/box down to 46-49 at night, which is amazing.
    Wow that's an amazing idea. I think I might look into doing something like that instead of my current setup.
    cheers,
    Rob
    My CP Page (WIP) See my webpage for my Grow List
    Modified AC for Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woooaahhh....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly why we collected that Sphagnum. We need to work on some serious propagation efforts with it.
    The N. lavicola are going to be interesting.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent seedlings, of course, it will be great to see them mature.

Also I am extremely interested in that compact Sphagnum species. very nice!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast