What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh my very very nice. Well done. What are you using for light and humidity if I may ask.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Is it just me, or are plants from WC seed just.....better?

That Burb it totally drool worthy. :drool:

They have more genetic variation than th identical clones or group of clones done when mass breeding is done. So yes the WCS plants would look a lil better.

Awesome plants!

@mass
I should do a post comparing aristolochiodies TC vs seed.

@twigs
I usually will cut plants back or move them to another grow area. Most of the plants I am growing are slow growing and will take years to get close to the the top.

@JB
You can see some details about the lights and humidity on page 3
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126800&page=3
I am using a mixture of HPS and T5 fluorescent lights. I was using HPS and growth was good, then I switched to T5 and pigment and color was good... then I figured I would just mix the two to get the best of both worlds. I run high high humidity recently it has not been too far below 90%. I have a ultrasonic humidifier with a fan blowing the air across the area. I try to use clean water when possible, alot of times I will recycle the water that the air conditioner is pulling out of the air.

That's cool. Sorry to make you repeat. I didn't get a chance to read the entire thread. Thanks for sharing. Very nice.

Last edited:
Here are two lower pitchers on two separate Nepenthes lowii. The pitcher on the left is from Nepenthes lowii BE-0128 and the pitcher on the right is from a Nepenthes lowii from seed collected on Mount Trus Madi. This seed grown lowii is 7 years old from 2004 and is about half the size in diameter as the BE clone, though pitcher size is pretty similar. Looks like slightly better peristome coloration and more exaggerated shape in the seed grown plant. Just wanted to share.
n-lowii-comparison.jpg

Oooooh, they're all really nice- I like them!! :D

Did some cleaning this weekend, trimming back sphagnum, dead pitchers, and wiping down the chamber. Here are a few photos of some plants.

Starting to move fast, Nepenthes ephipiata from WCS
nepenthes-ephippiata-0711.jpg

One of the easiest Nepenthes I have come across, Nepenthes vogelii
nepenthes-vogelii-0711.jpg

Nepenthes hamata 'red/yellow hairy'
nepenthes-hamata-red-hairy.jpg

Putting out some big boys, Nepenthes lowii x truncata
nepenthes-lowii-x-truncata-0711.jpg

Man I love this plant, Nepenthes burbidgeae WCS. 2ft wide basal in the background should put out some larger pitchers.
nepenthes-burbidgeae-0711.jpg

Thanks for looking.

MUST.. SPEEEED.. UP.. GROWTH!! Can't WAIT for my ephippiata to look that cool.

Oh man...The BE Nepenthes burbidgeae clones aint got nothin' on that one....such superb color! :drool:

Oooh, beautiful pitchers!

Wow! I am in love with your seed-grown N. lowii, N. ephipiata, and you have re-kindled my desire to own N. vogelli.

Of course all your other plants are show stoppers as well, and your N. burbidgeae is just terrific.

Nepenthes ephippiata -- 4 years old from WCS
n-ephipiata-seed.jpg

Can't wait for mine to get some size to it. Absolutely stunning!

You sir have some stunning plants, love the ephip.

Beautiful ephippiata and everything else!!!

Wow, the ephippiata is amazing!!!!

Very very very stunning!

Yep, I also like the ephippiata. One of the best species imo. Mine grows so so so slow.

Very beautiful plant! Would you say the rumor is true that eppiphiata does grow slightly faster than lowii?

Yes, ephippiata is a faster grower then lowii.

How's N. macfarlanei doing? Everything looks good as usual.

Back