Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes grow room

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes grow room

I have had nepenthes in the past, I kept them in my herp room since it stayed a fairly warm temp but they have always died for some reason. I have a spare room in my house that I want to turn into a nepenthes growing room. My idea is to do lowland species, line the walls or atleast some with reflective Mylar like material. Lighting I am thinking of several fluorescent fixtures (3-4). Use of heater/AC on a thermostat to allow for night time temp drops. I use rain water so the water is covered. I am just looking for more ideas on what will be needed. I may be biting off more than I can chew on this but I am getting excited about trying this. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything else sounds fine but what about your soil? Are you catching your rain water after it comes off your roof? Are you waterng them only when the top of the soil gets damp/dry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on doing the nep mix described in the savage garden book. My rain water is collected from the roof. I had sphagnum moss on top of the pots, so when that would dry out I would feel the soil and if it felt on the dry side then I would go ahead and water the plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont worry about night time temperature drops with an AC unit if they are Lowland neps... I always keep my LLers above 80F and they are happy enough.

Very different story if you are growing highlanders...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would a fogger or humidifier be beneficial to the neps? I think my problem with my last ones was that I didn't have it humid enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, in my esperience my young LLs will fade out very quick if I don't give them a lot of humidity, ask around for recommendations though, I only have a small space and it stays around 95%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric View Post
    I plan on doing the nep mix described in the savage garden book. My rain water is collected from the roof. I had sphagnum moss on top of the pots, so when that would dry out I would feel the soil and if it felt on the dry side then I would go ahead and water the plant.
    OK so so far soil is good. Rain water collected from the roof might be a problem. Sometimes people put chemicals on the roofs for different things. The main thing i to keep moss from growing on it. Watering the plant looks good.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by antechron View Post
    Dont worry about night time temperature drops with an AC unit if they are Lowland neps... I always keep my LLers above 80F and they are happy enough.

Very different story if you are growing highlanders...
    True LL Nepenthes like it warm 80+ day and night.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aric View Post
    Would a fogger or humidifier be beneficial to the neps? I think my problem with my last ones was that I didn't have it humid enough.
    Really NO carnivorous plant needs high humidity except woolly sundews and Heliamphora maybe a few more. But you could do that. A fogger or humidifier wouldn't exactly help but could help match their natural environment. If you were to use one of those you have to be on a almost constant lookout for fungus and mold. A Fogger or Humidifier could be beneficial but like i said you will have to deal with fungus and mold. Your lights have to be stronger than 20 watt fluorescent tubes also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using my rain water for the past 4-5 years on my sarracenia/droseras without problems, and since I have lived in this house for the past 15-18 years, I know we have no put any chemicals on the roof, maybe 19 years ago they did, but nothing since I have lived here.

Ok thanks, keeping at 80+ all the time would be really easy. I guess I could use fans/open windows if things got too toasty.

So having 4-5 fluorescent fixtures wouldn't be enough light? Even if I put a reflective material on the walls? I don't think I could afford a metal halide lamp right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast