Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes burbidgeae and Jamban advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes burbidgeae and Jamban advice

Was after a bit of advice on growing these two plants burbidgeae and Jamban, they are on the way in the post and was wandering where best to grow them and can they grow on a windowsill with a daily misting morning and evening.

I also wanted to know if a nepenthes puts out a pitcher and it doesn't inflate right away can it inflate at a later date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well..I don't own jamban, but peeps around here say it's pretty hardy, so it may do well on a windowsill.

burbidgeae is another story...I grow this one, and I find that it needs a ton of light and humidity over 60% to pitcher well. Unless your indoor humidity is over 60% and you have a very sunny window, it probably won't do too well.

And yes, sometimes, pitchers will suddenly start inflating long after the tendril has reached it's full length.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    both plants have a reputation of being very hard to pitcher....growing them actually isnt to hard in and of itself.

it depends on whether your windowsill will provide sufficient sunlight. you're going to need at least 6 hours of direct sun with both plants. humidity/misting shouldnt be a problem provided that you properly acclimate your plants to lower humidity conditions....

having both, im going to say that jamban is much easier than the two, and is more robust. burbidgeae, while being (my opinion) one of the best looking nepenthes on the planet, is a very slow grower....takes about 2-3 months to open a new pitcher, and can only hold at most 2 pitchers at one time...but who knows, that could be because im growing it wrong.

generic mix of 1:1:1 cork bark, long fibered sphagnum moss, and perlite/pumice will work for both plants.

exo might be on to something with high humidity and burbidgeae pitchering....although i've always had high humidity in my setup (2 ultrasonic foggers) so i've never had problems making it pitcher for me---but it is painfully slow.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me burb is an easy and fast grower.....temps are 80-85 during the day 55-65 at night depending on time of year and its currently in constant 80-85% humidity....couldnt tell yah exactly why its growing great for me other than it must like where i have it, have not tried it in other conditions though that may change soon as its almost to big for my grow out tank.....

dont grow jamban
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow both those plants and find them to be pretty easy actually. Sadly, N. rajah is the hardest plant for me so far. I haven't grown it successfully long term so far...only in brief spells. Anyways...I find jamban to be very easy and very fast. burbidgeae is a bit slower, but still faster than lowii or villosa.

I am unsure if they can handle windowsill. Depends on your humidity. In my room, humidity is 20-23%. Very low. So...unquestionably NO in that humidity. If you are having 50% humidity or so, you can probably pull it off with good results. They just have to be acclaimatised properly with frequent misting.

Check out "Nepenthes around the house" website. (no spaces) You can find some good advice over there as well.

Regarding your question about tendrils...pitchers can inflate on a tendril as the plant is opening the next leaf. However, if the conditions aren't correct, it can abort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @vraev: maybe Zuz can chime in...she grows her neps on a patio in San Diego---aka "super low humidity land".... as far as i know she's growing jamban successfully, dont know about burbidgeae though...
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure...She might have some good insights.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My small burbie's making small burbie pitchers and my smaller jamban now that I cut the main vine out to let the basals take over is making smaller jamban pitchers. Honestly they're both easy in comparison to say... singalana or hamata, but jamban is definitely the easier of the two: it's downright weedy!

..here's the jamban last summer (it likes it warmer than chilly-highland I've figured out this winter):

...and the burbie's new so it's not doing much *yet*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast