What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal Shoot???

Was doing a little cleaning & trimming today & noticed an odd or at least curious growth on a Red Leopard basal shoot
It kind of looks like a basal shoot is forming a basal shoot

Just never seen a (small) basal form another one & at that point / It's at the top & not the bottom where they usually start
That & it really doesn't look like a basal shoot to me???

What do you guys think / Basal Shoot Or Odd Growth???

Dormant nodes on my neps sometimes do this....if anything happens to the growthpoint, they sprout from there.

I get similar things on some plants as well, usually a little more point though. It probably wont do anything unless the node decides to activate.

I wonder what hormones you could use to stimulate that axillary bud. It'd be neat to have your plant branch into two growth points from the same stem.

Having the plant lay sideways and have the dormant node be the highest point on the stem may work. I've seen that many times on main vines.

In my experience, the plant needs to be in the boning stage for that to work. The internode spacing doesn't look big enough on that plant. I think it is just a typical feature of some plants.

Back