What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show off your new ventricosa X hamata hybrids!

True. It is never as good as the real thing, but similar.

N.ventricosa x hamata is a real plant. If you're saying that only species are real, proper and pretty and that hybrids are not.. well, send me all your hybrids! (particularly the S.Adrian Slack and the N.x Splendiana xx Mixta :p)

Nice try. That statement was made in the context of comparing ventricosa x A compared to A. Some hybrids are rather georgeous!

I'm going to exit this thread before I get talked into shipping my plants to thez. :)

Oh c'mon! ventricosa rocks! It makes everything less edgy and refined.

Here is what spongebob looks like crossed with N. ventricosa! LOL

230px-Normal.jpg

Haha. Yes! Spongebob Roundpants.

I like ventricosa, especially as a species. The hybrids tend to be less flashy, but this one should look interesting.

mass i would generally tend to agree with you... but the xBriggsiana and its reverse cross are incredibly beautiful, and ventricosa x angasanensis is gorgeous as well... Can't count out the ventricosa x ephippiata either, there are plenty of ventricosa hybrids that are just ugly or boring, but also a handful of stunning ones as well....

I am currently steering away from hybrids in general, but I do like a lot of the N.ventricosa hybrids. They are not always flashy, but some are pretty slick. I feel my main interest in the N. ventricosa x hamata hybrid would be a fast growing, fairly hardy Nepenthes with a decently toothed peristome. From what I have seen, the hybrids are taking on a lot of N. hamata's traits.

As a species, I almost despise N. ventricosa simply because it is such an easy to grow, unkillable beast, that everyone has one, and usually a huge one to boot. Oddly enough, the slow, finicky, hard to care for plants are the ones I enjoy the most. And toothed peristomes, but those two kinda go hand in hand ;)

Ah, but N.ventricosa porcelain/cream/alba are some of the most gorgeous plants out there! It may just be because I'm biased and like white pitchered plants (burbidgeae, muluensis, macfarlanei, etc.) but how can you *not* love them:
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32934

I've had numerous chances to get ventricosa x ephippiata.. but always pass on it. It's nice, I agree.. but I've got pure ephippiata, so what's the point.

mass, ive got pure ephippiata too, doesnt mean some of its hybrids or hybrids with any other species are not worth collecting.... i own truncata and ephippiata but i still have truncata x ephippiata, or i own lowii x ventricosa red but i own both of those....or hell, what about xPredator, just because you own a truncata or hamata, or both does not necessarily mean hybrids are not worth owning....

I just don't feel it's a worthy cross to take up even more space in my GH. For example.. I just brought in lowii x truncata, lowii x spectabilis, truncata x veitchii HL, spectabilis x truncata, and truncata x x TM. ALL worthy of my limited space.

I just don't feel it's a worthy cross to take up even more space in my GH. For example.. I just brought in lowii x truncata, lowii x spectabilis, truncata x veitchii HL, spectabilis x truncata, and truncata x x TM. ALL worthy of my limited space.

You're thinking wrong.

Buy another greenhouse. :-D

You're thinking wrong.

Buy another greenhouse. :-D

haha.. I like the way you think! It's actually in the works. But in the meantime, I've gotta be picky.

Here's my latest pitcher

DSC02701.jpg

DSC02702.jpg

Wow! Definitely looking worth it to me!

Also on the subject of ventricosa hybrids: You just gotta love them because they do add such vigorousness to the genes that can turn even the most picky plants into an adaptable windowsill display or intermediate grower, or etc.

Of course this is not N. hamata, but honestly if you ask me, this cross is much more impressive than N. x 'predator' already.

'predator' is such a disappointing mix in my opinion. Pure truncata or pure hamata is so much more impressive than them combined.

Last edited:
Nice Carn! It does look promising!

Its actually very similar looking to Predators I've seen as babies
http://www.exoticplantsplus.com/Npredator_truncXhamata2.jpg

And forgive me but I dont think I'd call it dissapointing http://freespace.virgin.net/wb.sherren/DSCF5747.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i83/cichlid_boy/IMG_8678.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/maxschaefer/Carnivorous%20Plants/N-60.jpg

I would agree though that I'd slide more towards a pure hamata or truncata.... but not by much...

Oh wow, that is similiar! Predator is a beauty!

Bump? Any of you guys have any updates on these hybrids? I hate to bring up a somewhat old thread, but I would really like to see how these turn out.

Well I guess this was a month or two ago, but since it's dark I'll post them now and maybe try to get new pics in the morning. I have too many, so I gave them names.

'dexter'
P9250046.jpg

'simon' (my favorite!)
P9250002.jpg

'beatrice'
P9250047.jpg

'cordelia'
P9250048.jpg

and all of them in order beatrice, cordelia, simon and dexter respectively

P9250003.jpg

Back