0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The paintings looks like it helps bring out the plants. The maxima dark is really living up to its name!

Do you grow any tropical ferns with your Neps? I had some interesting little ones pop up with the baby maxima.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the complements! I really appreciate the kind words.

I really like the maxima dark too, but a couple of times in the past folks have commented that it looked like it might be a hybrid...

What are your thought on the sumatrana? Does it look like the real deal? It is still very small; however, the shape and color seems to be off to me. Thoughts??

Wire Man - I do not ferns with my neps on purpose; however, they often show up of their own accord. I try to keep them pulled to a reasonable level, but it seems to be a no win situation.
    Check out my Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks similar to most N. sumatrana seedling pics I've seen. It looks like a highly variable species.
    I think the maxima dark is a pure species. N. maxima hybrids tend to lose the lid appendage, and your's seems very pronounced.

I was just wondering. I had 2 show up. I like the way they look growing with the pitchers. I plan to add them to the gecko's terrarium once I redo it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    It looks similar to most N. sumatrana seedling pics I've seen. It looks like a highly variable species.
    I think the maxima dark is a pure species. N. maxima hybrids tend to lose the lid appendage, and your's seems very pronounced.

I was just wondering. I had 2 show up. I like the way they look growing with the pitchers. I plan to add them to the gecko's terrarium once I redo it.
    Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

The ferns were kind of neat at first, but they can get out of hand pretty quickly. If you would like I can send you a couple of different types....
    Check out my Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ellisonk001 View Post
    What are your thought on the sumatrana? Does it look like the real deal? It is still very small; however, the shape and color seems to be off to me. Thoughts??
    More photos of the plant would help also. Any background info on where it came from etc?
    I agree it doesn't look right.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith I seem to think the ferns help the neps grow. I remember from Bio class how plants in the wild will form a symbiotic relationship via the roots passing sugars and things back and forth helping each other grow. My N. marbled dragon used to have this large fern growing in it and the plant was doing awesome. Then I repot take out the fern and now the plant is slow growing. I am sure it is in part due tot he root disturbance, but I think the fern helped too.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    More photos of the plant would help also. Any background info on where it came from etc?
    I agree it doesn't look right.
    Tony I will try to get a couple pictures of the whole plant tomorrow as it is getting too dark to get any good shots tonight. I got the plant on ebay, which throws up red flags. However, the seller has great feedback and has had several other rare plants that appeared to be the real deal....

---------- Post added 01-08-2012 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-07-2012 at 11:40 PM ----------

A few more detailed picturs of N sumatrana:

And an update on one of the N rafflesiana for good measure...
    Check out my Growlist