What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Gothic growers

So after people were making fun of Victorian ladies dressed in those fancy gowns with huge collars in the Chatbox one night I noticed that the mature pitchers of N. Gothica had a similar look so I ordered one! :)

Anyways N. sibuyanensis is HL and N. maxima is generally said to be LL and is where I've been growing my N. maxima for a year or so. I was curious who is growing this hybrid and in what conditions? I have Highland 75*F days and 50*F nights 90% RH or Lowland 85-95*F days/90% RH and 70*F nights to work with.

Any info or photos of your N. Gothica plants you care to share is appreciated! :)

Hey swords! You will like this one!
I am growing N.gothica currently in intermediate conditions. 63f nights 82f days. 85%+ Humidity. It isn't the fasted growing nepenthes on the table but it is by far the slowest. It cruises right along....Mine is about 9 inches across and is putting out 4+ inch pitchers on every leaf. Just had one open up a few days ago and the peristome is now starting fold back. Was starting to get a little pale until I picked up the foliar feeding. To which it responded like a champ :)
I'm at work now but will throw some pics out for you when I get home. The pitchers are young but they are nice looking!

I don't have it, but I do believe the reason its called N. 'gothica' is because of that very collar like peristome!

So after people were making fun of Victorian ladies dressed in those fancy gowns with huge collars in the Chatbox one night I noticed that the mature pitchers of N. Gothica had a similar look so I ordered one! :)

Anyways N. sibuyanensis is HL and N. maxima is generally said to be LL and is where I've been growing my N. maxima for a year or so. I was curious who is growing this hybrid and in what conditions? I have Highland 75*F days and 50*F nights 90% RH or Lowland 85-95*F days/90% RH and 70*F nights to work with.

Any info or photos of your N. Gothica plants you care to share is appreciated! :)

Hi,
Yeah, I think EP came up with the name 'Gothica' because of the persitome being flat, ruffled, and almost black under good light.
It is a easy grower but like most of my sib hybrids it chooses when it wants to pitcher.
Mine grow with no humidity control and gets warm in the summer and somewhat cool in the winter.
It just put out a huge (for me) pitcher and I took some pics after the lid started drying out because I moved but a lot of my plants are still at my old apt.
PICS,
gothica1-1.jpg

gothica2-1.jpg

Peace,
Zero

Wicked pitcher Zero! That thing is Large and in charge!

How old is your Gothica Zero?

Very Nice Zero! How large in diameter or how long is each leaf roughly? The N. maxima you sent me last June is doing great in Lowland conditions, will the N. Gothica be OK alongside it?

I got my N. Gothica today but it has no pitchers at the moment so it's not much to look at for now. It appears to make a vine rather early on or at least have more widely spaced leaves on a young plant than most small Nepenthes?

swords,
I think it's a intermediate but may grow well in LL conditions.
I think mine is about 12-15in. in dia.
You can see the leaf coming straight towards you into the top of the pitcher in this pic,
gothica3.jpg

Peace,
Zero

Last edited:
Hey, looking good Zero! You moved? Hope you've got better neighbors at your new place. Nice to see you around again.
~Joe

MUST HAVE! :drool:

Looks a bit different from the one on the EP website.

Exo,
I think all EP's plant pot range are multiple select clones put into tissue culture.
So what you see on there website may or may not be what you get, though with EP you will almost always get something great.
I got this one a while back when Sunbelle was selling EP plants and the EP neps were kinda cheap.
I got my Gothica, Marbled Dragon, and Black Dragon from them about 6-8 years ago.

Here's mine just arrived and potted up today. Is this type of growth common for a small / young plant of N. Gothica? Seems rather "viney" for a young plant (maybe it's a chopped off & rooted basal) but I've never grown N. sibuyanensis or it's hybrids, so perhaps this is common.

gothica1.jpg

gothica2.jpg

Comparing the two plants I can see that someone needs a spot of fertilizer to become green again... :D

Mine was stretching when I first got it and under good light the internode length shortened up.
Yours looks like a small plant or basal to me, not a cutting.

Back