Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Northiana Question

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also seen a member here called cindy, that grows hers quite successfully in burnt earth...
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I saw that, interesting.... Must be hard to keep moist no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MH1 View Post
    I saw a photo of someone growing one in pure perlite, but I can't find it I think it was in an undrained glass vase, but don't hold me to that. Pretty sure it was pure perlite though.
    You might have been referring to this:
    http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/i...6&page=1#84000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The previous photo is exactly how I have mine potted now except in a plastic pot and slightly less moss. I keep it in a terrarium with high humidity 75% or more, I water twice a week and have never had an issue with keeping it moist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greg, as it happens, many people in Malaysia and Singapore are starting to turn towards burnt earth as the solution for media-fussy nepenthes. I'm using this method for all my neps. Usually, I use a ratio of 70% burnt earth and 30% peat moss (though it can be 60% burnt earth and 40% peat moss sometimes). This seems to work for all my nepenthes and in a tropical weather, it can last for 3 days straight without watering. If your area is cooler and more humid, you can go straight up to 4 days without watering. Burnt earth is also ridiculously cheap (for an amount roughly a large sized cinema popcorn, it's around $0.30-0.60). However, I'm not sure whether it is actually available in your countries. If not, then go for perlite and a mix of orchid bark. Good luck!
    Edward

My Growlist
    My Twitter page

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burnt Earth isn't available here in the U.S, but I have found that aquatic plant soil is incredibly similar. I have a thread on here recording my results growing this plant, and have lots of information about the media I used there. A quick search should turn it up.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've taken a photo of my northiana As you can see, I used limestone and charcoal with some tree bark for my media. It may look like a topping, but actually the burnt earth and perlite have simply just 'flowed' through the bigger pieces of the limestone, charcoal and tree bark, leaving them as the topping now . FYI, no difference in the plant's growth or any benefit. Also, I put some normal white pebbles at the base of the pot as my original intention was to simulate the growing environment of northiana (it grows on cliffs and has a limestone base, right?) So far, the plant is too small for any conclusions, but I've found that the pebbles provide excellent drainage.
    Edward

My Growlist
    My Twitter page

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123