What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suitable HL species for me?

I finally finished my HL setup :laaa: Oh gosh, how much I have dreamed about this! The terrarium (53L) is placed in our cellar. The lighting is 2X18W lamps and the heater is 50W aquarium heater. The cellar stays all the time 12-14C so I only have to heat it at day.

Since I have been stuck with lowland species for 2 years I have no idea what temps some highlands can handle. Other likes it warmer and other colder.

Day temps: 22-24C (72-75F)
Night temps: 12-14C (54-57F)
Humidity 70-90%

I'd like to have easy and beautiful highland species that stays rather small. From what I have read, N. spectabilis and N. spectabilis X aristolochioides would be nice :blush:

The first thing that jumps out at me is that sounds like it might not be quite enough light. What type of lights are you using? Wattage doesn't say much if you don't specify what kind of device is drawing it. My general advice for new setups is to splurge on good equipment before you go dumping money in to expensive plants.
~Joe

Yeah I second the lighting comment. You will probably need more lighting for your plants to thrive. My terrariums that aren't near a window all have 4 fluorescent bulbs above them. Some suggestions for smaller-growing Nepenthes that I'm familiar with are: N. mikei, N. gymnamphora and N. glabrata. I'm sure there are more but those are just a few off the top of my head.

...And I don't mean to derail this thread into being about your lights. It's just that, if there isn't enough light, then you're going to have troubles with just about anything. But N. fusca likes it dim, and man, what a beauty! Mine just kind of puttered along for the longest time and then I repotted it and started putting it in the shade of my bigger plants, and it's become quite the little charmer:

Thought I had a more illustrative pic but I guess I have yet to upload it. I'll try to add it soon.
There are a few other highland Neps that like it on the shady side, but at this moment I'm drawing a blank. Generally, highlanders are more demanding of light than lowlanders, so keep that in mind when consulting your prior experience. If you're interested in doing a mixed setup, Drosera prolifera does well with lower light levels and is very capable of growing on most Nep mixes. And, the scrambling plantlet-bearing flower stalks are quite charming in a terrarium display.
~Joe

Hmm I feared about it.

The thing is that Ive read that T5s dont produce as much heat as T8s. I dont know how much the heater can keep up if the lights arent warm enought to raise the temperature about 2-4Cs. Its very expensice here to purchase T5 lighting systems. The stores have only super expensive Arcadia Overtank aquarium lamps (400€)
arcadia_overtankClassica.jpg

I have searched american web sites and there you can buy the same system (not aquarium type) for 60€.

The tubes are Sera Brilliant Daylight T8s
18W X 2 = 36W
6000K 1300 Lumen X 2 = 2600 Lumen.

For Sera Brilliant Daylight T5s

28W X 2 = 56W
6000K 2200 Lumen X 2 = 4400 Lumen

Okay, I searched a bit more. I found this:
pv-16689398144870b16c413bd.png

It has three places for maximum 26W CFLs. That would make 76W. If each of them had 1500Lumen it would make 4500Lumen

Last edited:
If you're willing to deal with shipping from the US, try contractorlighting.com. Their fixtures are a little bare-bones, but of high quality, and their customer service is excellent. If you're patient, they frequently run sales; their normal prices are quite competitive, and their sale prices are simply outrageous. I got my six-tube, four-foot T5HO units for under $120, and they included tubes. Call and ask for Liz if you have any questions for them.
~Joe

Okay, but looking at the temperatures what species like them? Here is a list that I have picked some random species that I might grow looking for their cheap price :)

Nepenthes mira
Nepenthes mikei
Nepenthes spectabilis
Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides
Nepenthes glabrata
Nepenthes talangensis
Nepenthes singalana x N.ventricosa

Okay, but looking at the temperatures what species like them? Here is a list that I have picked some random species that I might grow looking for their cheap price :)

Nepenthes mira
Nepenthes mikei
Nepenthes spectabilis
Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides
Nepenthes glabrata
Nepenthes talangensis
Nepenthes singalana x N.ventricosa

Based on the temps you gave, all these species and hybrids should do well.

Hi, thought I'd chip in on the heat bit. My room in spring is around 12-14C, much like your basement. I only just got round to getting a terrarium too- for exactly the same purpose. I'm stuck with lowland-15oC conditions!
I found that just 2 40W T8s heat my tank up to 23-24C really well. Due to space, I use 3 1/2 feet tubes - this means I have to use aquarium fluoros instead. I use them because the voltage is higher than equivalent size bulbs.
I would say that T5s would work well enough to heat the space though.
Maybe MH lamps or something like it could be the answer? I have no experience or knowledge with them: but I think that they do have hight wattage per size. They also give off heat (but maybe too much though?). Just a thought. Take what I say with a pinch of salt- I'm no expert.

Back