Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ideal medium for nepenthes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    Ok yeah we are slot more humid I think here than Austin. Never had luck with it myself. Ok I will definitely repot. Also concerned about acidity honestly. They were growing phrag discovered in 2002 in LFS. The plants were slow growing and not doing well. They discovered they despised the acidity and changed medium and they took off. So that got me thinking about my nepenthes. So going to look that up now too. I have to do something before they all perish.
    Some neps like N,ampullaria and bicalcarata love acid soil, some, like northiana and bochiana seem to hate acid...so looking at their natural habitat will be helpful.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing should ever be floating in a Nepenthes pot, even perlite. The ideal mix will drain so rapidly that things won't have time to float, but it should also retain moisture well. I've used a variety of mixes over the years, but I found that the two things that seem to generate the best results for the health of the plants is to have a mix that remains light and airy and to use big pots so the roots have somewhere to go. However, the size of the pot is not going to matter if your mix gets compacted or mushy. You will need to repot every two to four years in any case, and it's not a problem if you are gentle and just take your time.

The mix I generally use now for lowland plants consists of equal parts New Zealand sphagnum, peat, and perlite, often along with another equal part of either coconut chips or cypress mulch. If the mix doesn't seem airy enough, I add more of the coarser ingredients from there until it feels fluffy. I only use New Zealand sphagnum (many sources online) because it is just better quality, and it won't break down as fast. It also won't break down as fast if the mix is properly airy.

For highlanders I use pretty much equal parts of sphagnum and perlite, (for some of the more finicky varieties it's more like 2/3 perlite) with some peat and coconut chips thrown in much lesser amounts. Lately I've been adding some horticultural charcoal because it's a good idea to do that.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, it sounds like you are going a little heavy in your use of peat. Not a good idea, and even perlite won't aerate it enough for nepenthes in the long haul. Sand is okay, (pure quartz sand only) but it shouldn't be a a major part of your mix. You should only think of it as an addition if you want to use it. Some people use orchid bark for a coarse component, which greatly increases drainage, and that will work, but I find that it breaks down much too quickly into mush for me and often contains pathogens like funguses.

If your roots are already damaged from being too soggy too long, you might be looking at a long recovery with a lot of TLC. I've had several plants recover from that kind of situation, including a rescued N. villosa. It always took a while to see results after that kind of damage.
    Last edited by nepguy; 06-12-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read several places that truncata likes to be grown on the drier side so a more loose soil would be much better. Although I have never used Hydroton Grow Rocks I have seen a few people growing in this or similar stuff and have been rather pleased with it plus it will take a very long time to break down. Hope this helps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gea8579 View Post
    I've read several places that truncata likes to be grown on the drier side so a more loose soil would be much better. Although I have never used Hydroton Grow Rocks I have seen a few people growing in this or similar stuff and have been rather pleased with it plus it will take a very long time to break down. Hope this helps
    Mine are kept in highly wet conditions. The one pictured earlier is kept above my kitchen sink and always gets a few cups . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a N. truncata that was declining until I repotted it into an airer mix and started keeping it on the drier side of moist. It responded immediately, and now it's growing great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too find that trucata likes a chunky mix.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks. Yeah I was looking at the ph for a hand fun and they did best between 4.0 to 5.5 most liking 4.8. Was just a handful looked at in this study. I admit to know more about orchid than nepenthes. And still learning. Yes nepguy. Mainly peat. I will be fixing this Wed. Just ned to figure out how. Do I want inorganic or gently repot every 2. Idk. But I need to do something and I think they will recover hopefully. Thank for the recommendations so far. Awesome of you guys. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Well I have been growing long enough to know what works for one will not work for someone else. So I will contemplate my options.

I also know plants can adapt. Orchids should not be kept wet at all. But they can adapt to grow semi-hydroponically with hydration and roots growing in the water at the bottom of the pot. Bella maybe your beauty is grown in z mix loose enough and is used to the constant drink. My my my that is a beautiful truncata. Mine was very nice the 1st year putting out litter or larger pitchers.

Gea did the grow with it in pots? Do like a hydroponic thing wetting every so often? How did they use hydroton? That stuff shouldn't break down.

My my the choices. And I still consider myself a nepenthes noobie.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

And yes orchid bark breaks down in about a year or less in some cases.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Oh and 1st objective Wed is getting my poor truncata out of the suffocating peat mix it is in. I am ashamed of myself now. What I get for listening to so relatively new grower in the beginning. Now that I think of it he never kept plants long enough to know what worked long term. :-/ disointed in myself now.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they grew in pots and generally were just using hydroton or the like as a portion of their mix, if I can find a pic later I'll post it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast