Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ideal medium for nepenthes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please do. I am struggling with myself on what to repot these guys in.

I would rather find out now than grow a specimen rajah and loose it to repotting. If I'm going hydroton or similar I would rather find out now.

They say repots can be done safely. I am just scared because if experts loose plants to repots. I'm sure a noobie like myself will loose specimen plants.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    Please do. I am struggling with myself on what to repot these guys in.

I would rather find out now than grow a specimen rajah and loose it to repotting. If I'm going hydroton or similar I would rather find out now.

They say repots can be done safely. I am just scared because if experts loose plants to repots. I'm sure a noobie like myself will loose specimen plants.
    Honestly...I've never lost a single nep due to repotting in 6 + years of growing, so as long as you are gentle, I don't think you need to worry.

Rajah is one exception however.....it HATES repotting....so your best bet for one of those would prolly be a mix of mostly perlite of some other slow/non deteriorating components. Also..I avoid LFS for the reason that nep roots tend to entwine themselves in it and will not let lose without breaking. For something sensitive like rajah, that could be fatal.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried this mix? Got it from carnivorousplant.org it is completely inorganic.

The mixture consists of one part each: Seramis® clay perls (Effem, Verden/Aller), lava gravel (sold in aquarium shops, grain size approximately 1 cm), Lecaton® (expanded clay perls used for hydroponics, grain size approximately 1 cm) (Figure 2). These ingredients have the advantage of being more widely available than lava-clinkers. The mixture is slightly alkaline with a pH of 7.2, and should be soaked in purified water before being used.
    The site said it works for high and low alike and all species. Including cuttings.
    JB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    Has anyone tried this mix? Got it from carnivorousplant.org it is completely inorganic.

The site said it works for high and low alike and all species. Including cuttings.
    In the past, I have used something similar with cuttings; but then again, out of curiosity or college-induced penury since the 1980s, I have also used cellulose sponges, fibreglass insulation, and wads of foam rubber to root Nepenthes. Some actually use bits of discarded foam as a constituent of Nepenthes composts; however, I have never used an entirely inorganic mix with established plants.

One thing to be concerned with, if you should ever lean towards coconut husk-based mixes, is to ensure that the materials were not harvested near a beach. I know of several growers in Asia who lost significant collections do to phenomenally-high sodium in the husks . . .

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry they had to find out that way about coconut husk mediums. That is stressed to leach out the salts for orchids. People love coco husk for orchids. Just have to soak soak and soak some more. I am still researching. BobZ is maintaining the ICPS society page where I hot that mix from and I just shot him an email fit more info and if he has used it. I really want to use an inorganic mix. Even leaning towards it with my orchids. I know it does well with orchids with occasional repots due to root development. Orchid roots are so big and choke off the are and can take root stripping and live. Bros have the fragile root systems and so it has me scared to loose roots is all.

Grrrr just overworking myself I know. But I want to be a great grower and have specimen plants.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Thankyou so much everyone for all the info and it can keep conning. I take it all in and process it then determine the route I sm going to go.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JB, the ideal Nepenthes mix probably differs a little with each grower's conditions, and the materials available to them.

The following link has some good information and is one that i still refer back to.

Nepenthes media composition link

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pictures are Jonathan's off of proboards. You can see he has some inorganic clay balls sporadically in his mix, I've seen others use more but his mix looks like an excellent highland mix.

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is good stuff.
    I think the random size and shapes would be nice for the mix. Although not as porous or lightweight as the Hydroton.
    http://www.higromite.com/
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast