Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New plant: WTF?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some variegation is the result of genetics and morphology - other times it is caused by disease or trauma. Wikipedia does a good job of outlining the various types:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variegation
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am quite on the "virus" boat now here's how I saw the plant on Saturday (my DSL was dead so I couldn't update til today):

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep.....looks like virus to me.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plant source
    it is only a color effect and doesn't appear to have anything to do with the plant's health.

Yeah, totally healthy and normal...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the loss..it was an amazing hybrid.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it would have been, since it's not on the CPPF I was really looking forward to growing it and getting it out to folks through trades. I hope he gives me a refund or I'll be paying $85 for the opportunity to give him his first bad review.

FYI: For the rest of you probably should not bid on the Nepenthes maxima x veichtii H/L Striped that is on ebay now despite how awesome it looks in the ad. Just incase all this guys plants are infected with whatever this is since that plant is also a cutting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today's episode:
    Hi Josh. Thanks for the detailed photos. It helps much more than just text. All of the yellowish parts of the leaves that have little remaining green around them are due to dehydration. I've been growing Nepenthes since 1989. I've seen a plant do exactly what's in your photos once in a while, especially if the plant had little or no root system, or if I broke some roots while getting them potted up. You'll notice that those discolored sections of the leaves are relatively flat, while the little remaining green has the leaves' normal thickness. It's a dessication.

While I agree with your frustration, I have experienced the same thing more than once before. The striped leaves have nothing to do with it. It's suffering environmental stress from a change in growing conditions. It looks like you've potted it up in a great but open mix, after looking at photo #1. Compared to what the plant was growing in, your open mix on the very delicate root system could have caused this. The root system was full but fine and threadlike. It was growing in 100% long fibered sphagnum.

While I am not stating that the above is the cause of the plant's demise, my favorable track record and experience leans toward that theory. Your website has a nice design and concept, but its content is mostly current without older material. The rules for the Ebay auction are what they were. I won't change them for someone, just as I have never expected someone to change them for me when I had a bad experience. I am not a business, and have never issued a guarantee on anything. After years of reading carnivorous plant forums on the Internet, one thing I've seen many times is two people growing the same plant while trying to follow a specific instruction(s) for that plant, according to whoever wrote it. One person will have success, while the other person's plant will get sick and/or die. I'm not making excuses here, but am stating that bad luck happens to everyone once in a while, including me.

Patrick O'brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It's not me, it's you!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast