Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The bag method

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bag method

Howdy,

I have never used the bag method acclimatising my new neps and because if this have lost a couple and had some take ages to recover before regrowing well again. I have a Rajah, Raff and Burb on the way and was going to use the bag method but I don't how to do it properly what bags do I use? How big? do I cover the whole plant and pot? how often do I open it up?
    When can i take the bag off completely

Thanks

Reggie

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this depending on which nursery I get the plant from. Some take the time to acclimate their plants to lower humidity, while others just bag em' up right out of the shipment. The ones that acclimatize/harden off their plants before shipping usually say so on their webpage, and this can also be reflected in the price, but there's a much lower risk of you getting one that dies shortly after you get it.

Anyways, that's neither here nor there. I grow all my plants on a grow rack that is completely open to the standard home humidity. If I get a plant that I know isn't prepared for this, I will use the bag method. I'll cover the entire plant and top of the pot with a baggie, and cut a hole in one corner. Every couple days I'll make the whole a little bigger, for about a month, until there's not enough bag to even hold itself together. It's pretty simple, but let me know if you have any more questions. It works well, but sometimes isn't necessary.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

BTW, I have Burbidgeae and Rafflesiana. They actually sit right next to each other on the grow rack.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the bag method for my hamata I received from AW. I just used a zip lock baggie with the sliding lock. I put the bag over the top of the pot and zipped it up until it was tight. Then after a week, I just snipped the corner off and every week afterwards I snipped a little more. Took about a month and a half to fully remove the bag.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923