What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ventricosa rooting?

I have what i was told was a ventricosa cutting that i am trying to root. it has one small (1/4") root on it but is working on its second leaf. when would be a good time to plant it, when should i let the pitchers form, what would be the best mix to plant ti in? Im rooting it (the growing tip) with water in a dark beer bottle seems to be working but dont really know what the next step is and when to do it.

I have what i was told was a ventricosa cutting that i am trying to root. it has one small (1/4") root on it but is working on its second leaf. when would be a good time to plant it, when should i let the pitchers form, what would be the best mix to plant ti in? Im rooting it (the growing tip) with water in a dark beer bottle seems to be working but dont really know what the next step is and when to do it.

I'd wait for a few more roots before you plant it, just to be sure. Once it has a few, plant it in a mix of fine bark/perlite/lfs and keep moist. Once planted you can let the pitchers form.

the only lfs i can find is pressed bricks is that ok to use?

I always root cuttings in little 2" seedling pots of pure LFS (meaning the dried / rehydrated stuff), I've tried in water and it just rots for me that way.

this is the first time i have tried to root a nep and this has worked so far. i have some lfs then and when i have a few mare roots ill pot it up in the lfs

I always root cuttings in little 2" seedling pots of pure LFS (meaning the dried / rehydrated stuff), I've tried in water and it just rots for me that way.

I hate doing this.....untangling the roots from tha wad of moss when you repot is vitually impossible.

When potting on to a larger container I only remove the loose moss, not manhandle the whole root mass.

All my plants start off in a wad of moss whether it's live sphagnum or dead/rehydrated I put their roots in moss as a cushion and then the moss wad into whatever the "real" mix is going to be. So this is no different the moss just holds enough moisture for rooting cuttings compared to the faster draining bulk mix. I have heard several styles for rooting in water and the stems always go mushy on me, never stay firm and root but I have nearly 100% success with the moss method.

I only remove the loose stuff, not manhandle the whole root mass.

I don't like the thought of having a wad of decaying sphagnum in the root zone of my neps, so I root mine in a peat/perlite or a bark/perlite/lfs mix....so the roots don't cling to a ball of it.

after looking at the mother plant i think what i have is a n. alata. is their any thing i should do different with the alata i know they are really easy to grow. im all was looking for more neps to add to the collection if any one has some they could spare i would love to give them a home but i have nothing for trade but will pay postage thanks

after looking at the mother plant i think what i have is a n. alata cutting. is their any thing i should do different with the alata i know they are really easy to grow. im all was looking for more neps to add to the collection if any one has some they could spare i would love to give them a home but i have nothing for trade but will pay postage thanks

Back