Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Tentaculata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I thought it seemed like a bit of a futile method :P How drastic does the temperature drop need to be because here in blighty ol' england it gets to around 50F in the night..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Tom, Like I said I gave it more intermediate/highland conditions. Not true highland. But seeing as how I didn't grow it for very long I wouldn't take my experiences as anything more than that it can survive a short while in intermediate. I can't speak to anything other than my own experiences.

I can say that like all nepenthes I grow, many will be OK in slightly lower humidity (50-60%). The downside is usually smaller, thicker leaves as well as smaller pitchers. But most do adapt eventually.

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, can't add much on culture, but I can give a bit of help on the temp side. Although it gets cold outside in summer (today it's 13C outside in mid day 'heat') I find that room temps stay pretty constant. As the sun gets through the window, my room tends to heat to ~21C. At night it drops to ~18C. If you don't have double glazing, the drop will be more dramatic- although is sunny Cambridge it might be less so. 21-18 isn't really highlander- more intermediate. You might be able to get round it by opening the window every night, but could also not work at all- maybe said plant is too fussy. In winter, if you don't use the central heating often, your room will probably hover from 10-15C, with little fluctuation in temperature. If you use it to heat the house all the time, you will have ~20C constantly. If only heated in the day, you might get a slight temperature drop, but I would doubt it would be sufficient. This is all based on my own experience of house temps, but for me at least, windowsills only really seem habitable in generalised English household conditions for forgiving intermediates. Although, if you can manage ~21C-15C you might be able to get away with it. Just remember, outside temp doesn't mean inside temp. Maybe get a good digital thermometer so you can measure day and night temps? Hope that clears stuff up a bit on what you can grow on your window. But as I said, I'm more offering a room temperature guide as opposed to cultivation guide. There's a difference! Hope this helps with making plant choices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice! Yeh I think I'll avoid this Nep, seems way too fussy for my experience level! In case your interested at all I'm planning on putting together a terrarium sometime in the near future and considering temperature drop I'm hoping the grow lights being turned off at night and opening the window will be enough for more forgiving Neps.. For a southerner I'm quite resistant to the cold so I think I can live with my windows open at night :P I'm planning on having a little computer fan in it also to turn on at night to circulate air and maybe cool it tiny amount so I'm remaining optimistic to be able to grow some easier highlanders in the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that set-up already. Works fine- just a pain. I like to keep my window open at night anyway, don't like being hot in bed, so it's no problem for me. In summer, even with my cold nights, the inside of the room only drops to 15-16C at night, however the air by the window is much colder. My terrarium thing is on the opposite side of the room to the window(only place to put it), but if it was on the window the cold air would definitely be <15C, so I would explore that option, as it might be the best. Only problem is finding a tank that will fit, or a table the extend the sill. Anyway, just thinking aloud virtually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I was planning on putting it on my floor because im pretty short for space but I've got a desk in front of my window which I could put it on, just gotta add something on the windowsill the level them out.. I guess I'll just wait and see if they respond ok to being on the floor. Haha thanks for the helpful thoughts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helpfull thoughts are what I do best! And yeah, the floor could work too, as cold air sinks, but again, only near a window! Also, on a desk it will look less ghetto I have mine on a chest of drawers/cabinet thing, with all the wires leading into the drawers to make it look neat. Works well. Levelling may not be a problem, depending on the size of the desk- if the desk would fit the supposed tank, as long as it was near enough, it would pro ably work fine. One good consideration is tank size- wattage in bulbs increases with the size of the bulb, so the smaller the tank, the lower the light (also the quicker you run out of space ). Again, helpful thoughts . I had to do a lot if thinking about the tank, and was a pain - I'm painfully un-technically minded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment I'm thinking about getting a 30 gallon long tank which is about 3ft long 1ft wide and 1.5ft tall with 2 2ft 24 watt 6400K lights, does that sound like a high enoug wattage to you? I'm having trouble finding places that actually sell grow lights, all I seem to find are weed growing kits! ^^

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast