Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone grow N. 'Lady Pauline'?

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been growing this plant indoors for almost 4 yrs now, and agree it is a very easy grower, and I don't have highland temps in the least. Its grow temp is whatever is on the termostat, so it never gets too hot. It just moved into the vining stage now with two basals. It doesn't require a ton of light, but the pitchers wont color up withou some.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnivoure12 View Post
    Seems likeyour temps might be too high for N. 'Lady Pauline' Temperatures into 100's even for a day or so might be too much for it
    I think this is a bit of a misconception. I have plenty of ultra highlanders (hamata, villosa, macrophylla) that do just fine seeing daytime highs of over 100 during the summer.

The caveat is they are misted hourly (keeps the RH high and provides some evaporative cooling,) and always get nighttime drops into the 50s.

In my experience, if you can meet these requirements, daytime highs aren't really a factor at all until they get really high.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jurow View Post
    I think this is a bit of a misconception. I have plenty of ultra highlanders (hamata, villosa, macrophylla) that do just fine seeing daytime highs of over 100 during the summer.

The caveat is they are misted hourly (keeps the RH high and provides some evaporative cooling,) and always get nighttime drops into the 50s.

In my experience, if you can meet these requirements, daytime highs aren't really a factor at all until they get really high.

That is why I said it might be too much. I am not surprised macrphylla, or hamata do fine with warmer temps, as they are not Ultrahighlanders... Villosa is ultrahighland, but it has a wider range than most, making it more tolerant of temps.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnivoure12 View Post
    That is why I said it might be too much. I am not surprised macrphylla, or hamata do fine with warmer temps, as they are not Ultrahighlanders... Villosa is ultrahighland, but it has a wider range than most, making it more tolerant of temps.
    Not to digress too far from the original point that 100F isn't going to kill anything (esp. a maxima hybrid) as long as there is humidity and the nights are cool, but macrophylla is absolutely an ultrahighlander, as is hamata (depending on the locale.)

Villosa, in my experience, is easily one of the most temperature sensitive highlanders there is (especially as it matures.) I think Jeff Shafer had a great article about this in the CPN a looong time ago that made me understand why I could never keep them around very long.

Also growing in the same 100 degree conditions are lots of diatas, singalana, rajah, jacquelineae, densiflora, and probably some assorted other chilly plants.

To the OP: If you can provide a more detailed description of your growing conditions (daily/seasonal temperature fluctuations, humidity, hours and intensity of sunlight, etc.) it would be easier to recommend plants.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12