What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caresheet for N.ampullaria, and ? on cultivars

1.) What care requirements are needed for N.ampullaria?
2.) Any specific cultivars of this species I should know about?

I can tell ya how I grow mine......

Day temps of 80F Night temps of 70F

Humidity no less than 80%

Soil composed of peat, charcoal, and orchid bark in a ratio of 50% peat 30% bark 20% charcoal

Lighting is 2 20w growlux T12 bulbs 10in above the plant.

As far as cultivars go, it's mainly a matter of color forms...of which there are many.

Neat.
Would coir and/or LFS work in there as well? What kind of charcoal?

Neat.
Would coir and/or LFS work in there as well? What kind of charcoal?

Coir could work...and possibly LFS....but I find that ampullaria likes a soil that is more like "dirt" than most other neps.

The charcoal is horticultural charcoal, often sold at orchid shops.

Coir could work...and possibly LFS....but I find that ampullaria likes a soil that is more like "dirt" than most other neps.

The charcoal is horticultural charcoal, often sold at orchid shops.

Ah, I was wondering about the coir, because I don't really like peat that much as an invert substrate I've discovered, and then I'd be able to multi-purpose. But I already have a bunch of peat to use up lol.

Would they do well in a terrarium? I keep finding people saying terraria are bad, but I'm not sure why. :/
It feels odd being a newb at something again, lol.

Yes Nepenthes ampullaria can be grown in terrarium. The 3 forms I have are growing in one terrarium but it needs to be a big terrarium. I have them in a 40 gallon and they could actually go into something even bigger because in only one year they have outgrown it and need to be chopped. N. ampullaria seems a little more forgiving than other species as far as wet roots go so they're good in a warm terrarium.

In a terrarium where things are planted in the "ground" you need to have drainage beneath the soil layer to be successful. I use Hydroton clay balls they soak up water and transfer it to the lowest part of the soil level without allowing the soil to sit sopping wet all the time. I install a "siphon pipe" in my terrariums that goes from above the soil to the bottom of the drainage layer so I can stick a hand pump siphon hose in and pull out excess water if it starts to build up.

My "forest" terrarium soil mix is:

1 part each

peat
shredded dried long fiber sphagnum
charcoal
shredded cypress mulch
crushed oak leaves

O_O
Might be a good idea to wait until we have a house then.

Back