Informational! Informational!:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Attitudinal Distribution Chart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bored at work.... just prettied up the chart a little. Colors are still there if you hover over the different sections.

http://www.michaelkevinsmith.com/nep...ure-Chart.html.

Let me know if anyone has additions, critiques, or other comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW.
    You are *so* cool for this!!!
    Thanks so much!

Honestly, this is such a great guideline. Obviously YMMV as with anything else in this hobby and there'll always be exceptions: for example, elgecko has bicalcarata and hamata pitchering side by side, and mass has placed everything in the same Int-HL conditions and its all doing great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another odd one that doesnt fit the chart.....bongso.....having grown it i would put it as a warm intermediate more than a highland, infact i usually recommend it as a beginners plant cause the dang thing is so resilient to varying conditions being thrown at it.....

as others have said, the chart is handy as a rough guide but there are outliers within the list that are much more adaptive than their altitude range suggests....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    There is another chart but I can't remember where I saw it which shows altitudinal ranges in the form of a bar graph. I'll see if I can find it.
    There was a list on the CPUK forum. Species were listed from the coldest to warmest climates. Both average range and extremes were charted. I printed a copy a long time ago, but a search on the website
    today came up empty.

Oh, and many thanks, Michael. Nice work!

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One suggestion... Is singlana really a UHL Nepenthes? While viewing the chat it seems several other growers of this species agree. Also, 45-55 degrees isn't necessarily UHL conditions. I grow my Nepenthes in the same type of conditions year round and they love it. The UHLers seem to fair even better when it starts getting down to 40*F at night in the winter time(with N. Macrophylla as an exception because it can grow strong as long as there's a good temp drop). I'd say 49-40*F is UHL conditions for night time temps. Anyone else think the same? I've been told this a lot by many nurseries that my HL chamber is not UHL in the summer nights when looking at this chart for help.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think 49-40 is entirely accurate. My villosa is taking nights of 50-55 and it's obviously happy, also the temps vary greatly.... Sometimes getting fairly warm or below freezing for UHL zones.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had this bookmarked for ages!! So handy!! Love it!! http://www.michaelkevinsmith.com/nep...ure-Chart.html

Not sure if this was discussed, but I was told burbidgeae is definitely highland and not intermediate. I was also told that altitude doesn't necessarily classify them as ULL/LL or UHL/HL, which I completely agree with. While it may be the biggest factor, each species is its own and may be able to cope with different temperatures than its location. I have an ultra lowland-lowland hybrid in my greenhouse with nights in the 50s and its growing like a weed and putting pitches out like a boss. Insignis x merrilliana.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. The heater is offline or the summer. Theres only about 5 species that I would say are true ultra highland and ultra lowland. The UHLs are the ones like villosa and lamnii which need 40*F temps more so as they age. The same goes for ULL Nepenthes like N. bicalarata and N. thorelli. Once again there are exceptions for these ULL species which don't seem to mind 50*F temps as long as the days are hot. My Lowlanders stopped growing in the winter but didn't seem to mind the 40*F temps as no black spots were noticed. Of course, most of them are grex hybrids and can live in both extremes.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast