-Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    Looking good! How deep is your water?

Me, I only keep about 1 - 1 1/4 inch.
    About the same depending on the day of the week. I usually top it off at 2.5" deep once a week. But the pots shown are MUCH smaller than your colossal ones.. for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your heretical method for growing nepenthes. I think you are justified to fear that your heinous departure from official nepenthes doctrine will land you in the middle of a weenie roast (literally), but I think I will hold onto my own firewood in this case because it has been my experience that, if given the opportunity to send their roots into water, (at least some) nepenthes will choose to do so, and this presents tantalizing possibilities for alternate methods of culture.

I began to notice this tendency in the plants some years ago. In my lowland setup, the plants have always been suspended over water, with the bottoms of the pots about 4 or 5 inches above the water's surface. One day I noticed roots coming out of the bottoms of the pots. I wanted to see what would happen, and so I allowed them to develop until they reached the water. There they spread out quickly into dense mats with hundreds of small black roots reaching up over the water's surface like tiny cypress knees in a swamp, and the main roots coming down out of the pots developed into thick woody ropes. The plants themselves seemed to be very healthy, and because of that I saw no reason to try to "fix" the situation just because it was unconventional. I did eventually have to deal with it when I got some more plants and had to do some rearranging.

Later the same thing began to happen with other plants in my smaller tanks. The roots would get into the water underneath, and it presented a challenge when I needed to take them out for repotting or for a trade. I have a N. muluensis x lowii that has been growing like that for years now (I'm afraid to look), and I just leave it because it seems to be happy. It's a small-growing hybrid, so there is no reason ever to consider taking it out of there. I just trim it up sometimes if a stem gets lanky.

Whatever works . . .

swords: I find that my N. rafflesianas drink a lot, too. Thinking of sending them to AA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mass you pretty well discovered what i do.....so long as the mix is airy enough you can get away with growing neps wet.....i grow nearly everything together in trays and just vary soil mixes and pot heights to dial in what specific plants need.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I think I'm going to give this a try. I found a bag of orchid mix that contains: Orchid Bark, Charcoal, and Coarse Perlite. Sound familiar? Some of my neps might like a slight boost in humidity.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyJones View Post
    Hmm, I think I'm going to give this a try. I found a bag of orchid mix that contains: Orchid Bark, Charcoal, and Coarse Perlite. Sound familiar? Some of my neps might like a slight boost in humidity.
    Add a smidge of LFS and a top dressing, and it's quite familiar.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This leads me to believe nepenmthes would do well int he semi-hydro method of cultivation used with orchids. Orchids can even adapt to having roots in water and as everyone knows leaving them in water rots the roots, but if grown in semi-hydro they will adapt. This will lead me to trying the method of growing I wanted to try in the begining once I am able to obtain the inorganic medium for semi-hydro used with orchids. Awesome... way to go with your growing.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    About the same depending on the day of the week. I usually top it off at 2.5" deep once a week. But the pots shown are MUCH smaller than your colossal ones.. for now.
    Watch out though! I don't give them as much water as you and also I keep them in terracotta pots. I'll be interesting to see how yours adapt.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast