Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neps grown in standing water.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neps grown in standing water.

Hoping this thread doesn't start drama. Just thought I'd show my success with growing neps in constant, "deep", standing water.
    I have however noticed a few downfalls. Such as the plants developing HUGE root systems along with accelerated basal production. As far as perks, once I adopted this growing method I had a HUGE increase in humidity and healthy pitcher development. Prior to this I had a hell of a time getting any respectable sized pitchers. I chalked it up to a lack of "real" humidity. In any case, this works..
    Media: 5:4:3:1 Orchid bark, charcoal, large chunk perlite, LFS.. with a live LFS top dressing on everything but some veitchii stuff. They seem to do better without it.

Starting with just the small neps today. I'll get some pics added later on of the larger ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great to me. I like the ferns too.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting! I actually just started putting my ventricosa in standing water because I ran out of space and out of laziness put them in my dew/ping tray. I haven't seen it quite this good in a long time. I figure it would be better to over-water than to accidentally under-water.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your mix has a lot to do with your sucess with this method. The mix I typically use of lfs and perlite in equal amounts holds a lot of water and would break down quickly in those conditions. I even had to switch my veitchii to a 2 to 1 perlite to lfs mix cause they were staying overly wet between waterings and I'm always sure to dump the trays when the water is more than maybe 1/8''.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neps_N_Things View Post
    I think your mix has a lot to do with your sucess with this method.
    I strongly agree. Which is why I felt the need to include the mix recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by dionae View Post
    Looks great to me. I like the ferns too.
    Thanks! I love them.. but couldn't be rid of them if I tried. They come from the LFS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally grow my Nepenthes in shallow standing water; or, commonly, on a mat of saturated sphagnum moss (and let capillary action do its thing); though I have mostly moved on to net orchid pots in recent years, which also allows for greater air circulation than the previous method. Since I can away for days at a time, it seemed, not only a natural choice, but the only one; and I have yet to lose a plant to the method . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 06-29-2011 at 11:33 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as your mix mix is airy enough and the water and air circulation in your setup is great then you certainly can have great success with growing Nepenthes in standing water, as you show here.

Though, for any terrarium growers, or people that use pure LFS as a substrate as well as not having water evaporating at a steady rate, this certainly can spell doom for the root systems of many Nepenthes. And there are certainly enough examples in my own life as well as in the hobby at large that could demonstrate that.

Nice Neps!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my N. bicals got to 4-6 feet in diameter I had a hell of a time keeping them moist. They would suck up all the water in the media in a day or so. I started keeping them on a tray of water it was easier to keep them wet enough but also got a thick mat of roots in the water tray.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast