What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes villosa seedlings . . .

Here is a game of "Where's Waldo?" with a small pot of four even smaller Nepenthes villosa seedlings -- germinated back in late March, after some fifty-three days (from seed collected in the Fall of 2010). Which of the four do you suppose will be demonstrably female?

Nepenthes villosa: 3 July 2011
VILLOSA-5.jpg

Last edited:
The one that wears the sun-dress?

The one in the center most of the pic is going to!

far left!

Where did you get the seeds?

far left!

Where did you get the seeds?

I know...lol..."Where the bodies are buried?" :p LOL! :-))

Nice seedlings David. Man! i wish I could get some rare seed like that.

I noticed the one on the top left first, so I'd say that one. Looks pretty feminine to me..

I'll take a bet and say all of them are females :D

In only about 20 years you'll know for sure!

Very cool! I bet for the one on the center!
And btw, could you please tell us what are your germinating conditions for this guys? Any special care or something? I'm wondering on your temps...

WoWoW!! I've had poor luck germinating Nepenthes seed...let alone N. villosa. Those are keepers!

Since you asked the question, I would assume you likely know the answer. Which leads to what I would really like to know and that is: How can you tell from a batch of seedlings which ones are likely female?

Since you asked the question, I would assume you likely know the answer. Which leads to what I would really like to know and that is: How can you tell from a batch of seedlings which ones are likely female?

I was just being facetious, since the only feasible way of determining gender of Nepenthes, is to wait for them to produce a flower -- many years down the line . . .

Ah, LOL.

I was hoping you knew of some fairly reliable way to determine sex based on size or characteristics of a newly germinated seedling. That would be useful.

Sorry to spoil the fun.

Here is a shot of four monstrously-huge Nepenthes seedlings, some seven months after the first posting -- and approaching one year of age. I "flasked" quite a few seeds back in December of 2011; and it will be interesting to see whether they will outstrip the growth of those grown conventionally . . .

Nepenthes villosa (seed-grown) 15 February 2012
NVILLOSA2-2.jpg

N'aww look at all the little cutie-pies! :awesome:

Looking good BB!

Beautiful :cry:

Wow! Such slow growers, you must be incredibly patient.

Could genetic tests be used to establish what sex the plants are?

These are about the same age and size as mine. They grow sssoooooooooo slow. I have other species that germinated 3 weeks ago that are already twice the size of my villosa.

Back