What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are these creepy insects?

Today i went to look at my small ventrata plant and to my surprise, i just saw a bunch of creepy spider-ly ants looking insects. Can anyone identify them and are they harmful to the plants?

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

they seem to have some egg looking things underside of the leaves, they are like 1cm long, have 6 legs and 2 long feelers. Bunch of them living together maybe more than 10 less than 20, with eggs. Only on one of the leaf, doesnt seem to be living anywhere else in the plant

im sorry, but i think you're going to have to take much closer shots if you want a decent id.

Based on the last pic I'm gonna say Pseudoscorpions . Where do you live? I've never seen any that large (if that's what they are).

But I can't really tell due to blurriness and distance from the camera.

a true bug of some sort. hemiptera. if i had to guess based on pics maybe family coreidae. Squashbug family. hard to say based on pics. was the plant outside for a period of time that the adults could lay eggs on them?

updated with better shots

DSCF1085.jpg

DSCF1086.jpg

DSCF1087.jpg

DSCF1090.jpg

DSCF1091.jpg

creepy eggs, lol

OK, I'm not thinking Pseudoscorpions after seeing the new pics.

swords i think your right on this one, they look quite similar :)

One of the Broad-headed Bugs (Alydidae) subfamily Alydinae maybe. Probably in the nymph stage still.

sounds bad, ill murder them

i think they are dead, except for a few, probably struggling inside my flytrap now

They were assassin bugs. Very beneficial insects.

sad....an animal being exterminated because of its name...maybe we should do the same to killer whales. lol.

but luckily, assassin bugs arent under high pressure like orcas. like many have already said, most assassin bugs are beneficial insects, which eat pests that could damage your plants...that being said, i wouldnt let them bite you, as they carry a very painful bite....
for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduviidae

Maybe i killed them too soon although they arent dealing any obvious damage to the plant yet

assassin bugs dont eat plants. they eat bugs.

in fact, there are a few carnivorous plants that share a symbiotic relationship with assassin bugs. Drosera and roridula are two such genre.

If there are any left over keep them. They're awesome little bugs. They do hurt a lot when they bite, I know from experience.

They were assassin bugs. Very beneficial insects.

That was going to be my id also. Assassin bug nymphs. Used to get a lot of them when I lived in Houston. One of the cooler predatory bugs imo, almost as cool as mantids...almost.

Back