What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass's NEW N. macrophylla

Ended up costing me $70, so I'm quite pleased. Gotta love having generous friends!! :awesome:

IMG_6485.jpg

IMG_6483.jpg

IMG_6484.jpg

IMG_6482.jpg

Looks great! I'm sure it will grow even greater in your hands! :awesome:

Only $70? Wow, amazing!

I like this. Very. VERY. Much. :drool:

Oh man mass, I hope that thing is just etiolated... Macrophylla does not have long strap like leaves... Nor are they pointed like that... Time will tell I guess, but I'm certain it's pretty etiolated, plant that size should not have that much internodal spacing...70 is a steal though whether it is a macro or a xTM of some sorts

i agree with SK. i've got macs from both AW and BE, the ends of the leaf where the tendril form should end bluntly, almost like a wedge. that being said, it is a beautiful plant---and i wouldnt be too hard on the guy who hooked you up with this plant either; there has been much controversy over which clones are TM hybrids and which are actually macrophylla. even more, some people believe macrophylla to be of hybridic origin and various clones could represent the bell curve distribution of variation between macs and their parental origin...

on another note, could be freakishly hilarious if that turned out to be edwardisiana.

perhaps BigBella could chime in?

Last edited:
on another note, could be freakishly hilarious if that turned out to be edwardisiana.
Looking at it, there's nothing to indicate that is N. edwardsiana - don't get him totally confused! :lol:

@swords: well, i threw it out there, because i've never owned one, so therefore i cannot say whether it is an edwardisiana or not. :-))

Whatev.. I love it either way. And I've still got a sg macro from seed collected in Gunung Trusmadi. :awesome:

That's a real nice plant! Definitely worth the 70 bucks.

But I do agree with what everyone else is saying, just from the pictures of various clones and seedlings I've seen, this plant looks noticeably 'stringy' in comparison to any N. macrophylla.

very beautiful, congrats on the new kid :p

Out of curiosity, what is the diameter of the plant, mass?
For comparisons sake, here is my plant back when I received it, I need to get a new photo of the entire plant, but the leaf structure has remained the same.
NepenthesmacrophyllaBE004.jpg

After looking at a TON of pics of both macrophylla and x Trusmadiensis, I'm not convinced that this isn't macrophylla. I've gotten quite a few high end plants from this (wonderful) person, and all seem to have been in this shape. I think it may just be his growing conditions. As all of the plants have started bushing out a bit in my care.
I'm still quite pleased, and feel this macrophylla will never fail to disappoint in next year's POTM contests. :awesome:

:p I feel we shall probably both be entering our plants when the time comes Eh ;)

Hiis other plants didn't look too healthy, so the macro might just be a bit leggy. The pitchers look fine to me, so I think the leaves will be more macrophylla - ish in your great conditions.

Congrats :)

:p I feel we shall probably both be entering our plants when the time comes Eh ;)

haha.. I don't doubt it buddy. Maybe we should stagger months, or take turns. Don't want a macro war like we had with the jambans a few months back. ;) Besides, I HATE to lose.. so I really don't want to go up against the likes of you.

Hiis other plants didn't look too healthy, so the macro might just be a bit leggy. The pitchers look fine to me, so I think the leaves will be more macrophylla - ish in your great conditions.

Congrats :)

aww.. well thank you for the vote of confidence Danny. I appreciate that.

Duh Duh Duh! The race is on. ;)

I'm one of those people that things N. macrophylla is just an edwardsiana and a lowii that spent too much time together. but that's just me!

I still want one, bad.

Duh Duh Duh! The race is on. ;)

I'm one of those people that things N. macrophylla is just an edwardsiana and a lowii that spent too much time together. but that's just me!

I still want one, bad.

_Villosa_ and lowii that spent too much time together. :)

Who knows it could have been a three way : O

If Auxins were used on the plant it can definitely cause lengthy internodes, don't know if it would skinny up the leaves though. At any rate it's quite nice looking and sizable for the price.

Back