Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shrinking Pitcher Size

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is it planted in? I've noticed on my neps that if the soil compacts too much the pitcher/leaf size begins to dwindle.
    I love lamp...

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's in pure peat, not compacted. I haven't repotted it since I got it in May because of its unruly size.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I've never grown Nepenthes in pure peat before, so maybe gea is on to something, but it's hard to say for sure.

If there were spider mites, the quickest way to find out would be to mist the whole plant and if you see the webs become visible, then bingo. Other wise, the bottom of the leaves would have barely visible little red buggers crawling around. Aphids are pretty obvious, other pests like scale and such are equally as visible.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how it came. I'm guessing the typical orchid bark and LFS medium is recommended? This thing will be a chore to repot. I haven't noticed any webs when misting it, but I'll double check when the afternoon sun hits the window. I'm very familiar with scale and mealybugs, none of which are present.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No spider mite webs. There are little dewy drops on the stem though.

Despite the tiny size of the new pitcher it is perfectly formed! The lid is almost peeled away from the peristome and there are two small red markings on the mouth. It's a nearly perfect hour glass shape!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a picture? it might help diagnose the situation a little, or not, who knows.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ventrata uppers are smaller than the lowers. They are similar in shape to the lowers but are smaller and less colorful. If the plant is vining and producing smaller pitchers, I think this is probably normal. Humidity really affects the pitcher size on xVentrata too I have noticed.

It should produce a basal or two eventually and go back to making larger lowers on the new growth over time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can almost guarantee your media is the problem. Pure peat does not allow enough air to the roots. When I was having problems I was using 1:1:1 peat: perlite: orchid bark and I was still having problems. Either the media packs too tight to allow air to roots or the peat breaks down and becomes too acidic for the plants but my guess is lack of air to roots.
    I love lamp...

Grow List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast