Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shrinking Pitcher Size

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have the same problem as well with my ventratas i have 3 one i have had for 4 years and has yet to put out some size-able pitchers but there are many things to take into mind.
    1 the one you have is probably a deroose plant in one of those white hanging baskets ive got three haha anyway if is is one....
    2. when you received the plant it probably had rilly big leaves (bigger than the ones you have now) this will allow the plant to produce larger pitchers the reason that the leaves were so big is because the plant was probably grown from a cutting or cuttings of a larger plant thus giving it biger leaves and bigger pitchers..... so thus when the plant grows new growth points the leaves are going to be smaller along with the pitchers.
    3 upper pitchers are naturally smaller......
    you can mess with the media it will help all the cuttings i have rooted off of my plants are rooted in 50 50 sand and ground sphag. with lfs along the bottom of the pot to keep it all in.\
    hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last upper pitcher was twice the size of this one. The basals have only produced one tiny pitcher each, seedling size.

Yeah, it's in a white hanging basket. I'm soaking a mic of orchid bark, perlite, and dried sphagnum currently. I've figured that since its not pitchering efficiently I might as well repot it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes repot it and give it good light i had the same probem just wanted more light i did keep the dirt tho....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's getting plenty of light. And by plenty I mean the leaves have a very light color to them. I'm color deficient, so I can't really describe the color perfectly. It gets at least 6 hours of nearly full sun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alrite good i think your plant is just a tempermental one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a N. x 'Ventrata' cutting in a peaty mix, and it pitchered pretty well (inside under lights) until I coffe'd it. It shut down, basically, which was weird. It wasnt until I repotted it back in mid-May, in the same media you're suggesting for yours, and stuck it outside did it start growing again. It now has two nice pitchers on it and is working on its third, and the leaves are getting like seven inches long!
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes will simply throw out reduced pitchers from time to time, almost without exception in my experience; and my compost is about as "airy" as it can get. One of my N. truncata, capable of producing 45 cm pitchers, threw out two this spring only about 7 cm each.

The new crop of them looks far more promising . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just repotted it, not an easy task. It's not as upright as it was before, but the potting medium is much airier. The peat was pretty dense when I removed it. Fingers crossed for improved results.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast