Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shrinking Pitcher Size

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shrinking Pitcher Size

My N. ventrata's pitchers are getting smaller and smaller. The plant itself is growing at a tremendous rate, about 6 inches a month vertically, but it only produces one pitcher at a time (despite having 6 growing points) and they're tiny compared to previous ones. It is producing uppers now, about 1.5"-3" tall.

It's growing in a west facing windowsill with plenty of light, 60% humidity, and temperatures in the upper 70s. The growing medium stays moist. Any idea what's going on?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read before that when conditions are ideal, a nepenthes will slow or stop pitcher production and act like a normal plant. (normal being a relative term.)
    Last edited by ErrorEN; 07-30-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo. :I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideal has to be over fertilizing, probably convincing them that pitchers arent needed. Good light, good humidity usually helps with pitchering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree...this plant must ne getting an abundance of nutrients from sonewhere.....
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be like has been said, too much nutrients in your media. Or it could be that the extra growth points on the plants use up enough of your plant's energy to reduce the pitcher size.

The more growth points a plant has the less impressive each growth point will be. (typically)

Also, mites, or a pest of some kind can reduce the size of pitchers, especially when they are first starting to infest your plants you might not notice them visibly but the pitchers will get smaller. It happened to my jacquelineae before.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two wasps it caught might explain this, and all of the other goodies in the larger traps. The algae in one of the pitchers must relate to this too. Should I try making a cutting of one or two of the basals?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's up to you! Though to be fair, I've never had reduced pitcher size because of the pitchers having caught prey items. I could be wrong, but I think trap production correlates more with the nutrients that are taken in by the roots or through foliage rather than through the traps. Taking in nutrients through the traps would only reaffirm the plant's need to create more traps (I speculate).

But yeah, take cuttings if you want more ventratas, or you can just let the plant grow out and eventually the younger growth points will create pitchers of larger sizes, and you'll have a massive bush.

Depends on what you want, and if that is truly the problem or not.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never root fertilized it before. There are about 8 leaves above the newest pitcher on the tallest vine. Some of the basals don't even have pitcher "nubs" at the end of the tendril. How do I check for these said parasites?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast