Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Seed Setups

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    Exo, what is this greenhouse you are using?
    Similar to this...but with a zip up cover.

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/50...Light-Cart.htm
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nowadays I always float some on water also. The latter usually germinates quicker for me, and often in better numbers.

could you post pictures of this germination method?
    I just got some rare nepenthes mirabilis var echinostoma seeds and I would like to try some out on this method incase they fail to germinate on spagnum.
    Last edited by lance; 08-03-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: error

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Similar to this...but with a zip up cover.

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/50...Light-Cart.htm
    Thank you.
    omg the price...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    Thank you.
    omg the price...
    I got mine for 200$ for a different place, but yeah, they ain't cheap.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HE HE well you could go to Mills Fleet Farm and get one for like $40. Gotta add your own lights. but it has the zippered cover better go quick they're getting rid of summer stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

It is nothing special really. I use cheap plastic food containers, like the one pictured. I don't have any seed germinating right now, but this one where I have transferred some seedlings on sphag, looks the same.

I fill an empty container with water halfway up. I use reverse osmosis water, but I don't know if that makes a difference. After sowing I place the containers under light, but not very bright. After about two weeks, or so, I'll give them more light. The reason for this, is that ever since I started with cp's I have rarely had germination before two weeks, whether it has been Drosera or Nepenthes. Early on I instead focus on getting moisture to penetrate the seed coat, to wake them up. Also, I don't want to give algae a head start. I try to open the lid every day or so, to get some air movement inside. When I see signs of germination, I use tweezers to transfer them to a medium to grow on.

When I first sowed on water, it started as an experiment, but also there were times when the sphagnum did go moldy quickly before the seed had a chance to germinate. Of course unless it is a completely sterile environment mold will develop here too, but with less "foreign" material which might give mold a foot hold, I was hoping to see less of it.

The "water seed" have only germinated 2-3 days earlier on average. Other times there has been no time difference for the first seed to germinate on either medium, but a couple of days later usually a larger percentage of the seed in water had sprouted.

I go with the old saying 'don't place all eggs in one basket' so if possible I sow on different soils to improve my chances to at least get some seedlings.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gone the cheapo covered germination tray route (that allows watering from a sealed "well" below) for several years. I simply placed the seed on the surface of the compost -- typically milled sphagnum and sand -- and kept it under lights. Most trays -- whether highlander or intermediate -- were kept at room temperatures until the seedlings were several months old. Occasionally, I will sow the seed aseptically in TC media to ensure germination in suspect age seed; and have used gibberellic acid (GA3) in the past with valuable seed. Here's a set of photos from seed-pod (five minutes from Air Mail pouch) to one year old seedling plants:

Nepenthes hamata
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input on your methods Chister.

Bella I had purcahsed some GA3 some time ago I'm sure the 0.3 of a gram I bought is expired by now having spent a few years in my non-climate controlled storage bin but if I bought some more how much do I mix it up in a useable amount for say a gallon of distilled water?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast