Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going on vacation, what to do?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your tray watered plants try a bubbler system. You'll have to estimate water consumption to determine the size of the reservoir you need.

For the Nepenthes you can rig up a simple drip feed system. There are some simple battery powered systems:

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/in...2=445&cid3=-99

They used to have a cheaper system that just used a bucket as the reservoir but they no longer list it. Try a google search on "self watering".
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks NaN! That bubbler system is ingenious. Will definitely rig something up for my tray-watered plants.

For the Neps, what do you think about something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Self-Watering-...214349&sr=8-14
    Decidedly cheaper than the mechanical self-watering system, but perhaps decidedly crappier, too.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a drip irrigation system that is available and many people with greenhouses use it. I would suggest that. 3 weeks is a long time. I have been away on vacations 2 times in the past 2 y and the first time, I lost irreplacable nepenthes seeedlings that I still regret. The second time however, I managed to get all of them to successfully make it. I basically put all of the pots in bags in the tank and just keep the regular system of misting 7times every day and the plants did fine for a week.

Be careful if you think about turning lights off and keeping it damp. I did that and my tenuis almost died. Too much of any variable (especially humidity/water) can cause big problems if you do not have others in sufficient quantity (light + air).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh, definitely not turning lights/fans off. That'll keep running... not too worried about the electric bill

Even if I can get the plants through two weeks of solid watering and have them get a wee bit thirsty over the course of the third week, I'll take it. I've been mean to my plants over the past few months and have watered my Neps as infrequently as once a week, and they don't seem to upset about it (of course, I know I'm playing with fire there)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12