What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep Seed Setup Critique

Vbkid

Getting There...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugh-jass/6013368438/

So I've tried to use all the information I've gathered tfrom the generous folk here, and sowed my second set of nep seeds, wondering if I could get any last minute advice. I put about 40 seeds in each of 4 pots. the media is 2:1 peat to sand. I have it under the lights as shown with a hydroform heat matt below the sterilite container. I put quart ziplocks over them, and misted heavily to get good seed/soil contact.

Few questions: I plan to have about a quarter inch water in the bottom to keep them at a good moisture level, is this acceptable?
Do I need to poke any holes in the ziplock bags? Do I need to take the bags off daily to get good air flow to em?

Also, I have about 20 or so seeds of both mirabilis and albo. left over. Thinkign about doing the floating in water method I've read about. Thoughts on this?

Putting a slightly raised wire rack over the heat mat and placing the container on top of that allows for better heat flow..you'll still get bottome heat, but also side heat.

Yup...follow Chib's advice, otherwise, it looks just about perfect. As far as removing the bags, I do remove bags fom mine for a few seconds once a week to get some fresh air in there. No holes are needed in the bag untill the seedlings have several leaves...then I nip a tiny bit off the corners.

A quarter inch of water in the bottom for the seeds should be fine but I would mist the tops of the seeds every once and a while to encourage germination. If the seeds are fresh enough, eventually they will germinate.

Really appreciate the help! Hopefully I can get some success with this batch!
So anyone ever try the water germination?

Nope...never even heard of that method till recently.

I should be receiving some nepenthes mirabilis var echinostoma seeds soon, so I will try out some seeds on this new method to let everyone know how it works. I would try it out and see you may never know what might happen.

I may also try this with some extra seed!

I have tried the water method with Nepenthes on two occasions and lost the seed in both instances . . .

Back