Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N. argentii,whats wrong now??

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actualy...I have had that happen with my own argentii...

Bear in mind this is a sad story.

Every nep I have EVER owned THRIVED at one point...but after disturbance, change in condtions, they went down hill and never recovered. Argentii is a prime example...my first ever argentii, after all the horror stories i read about it, was actually very very easy for me. I ignored it..just grew it alongside my other neps...same standard media of mostly LFS, bark and a bit of charcoal.

Note...follow the pic progression. Look at the leaves.

And that is the end...it went downhilll from there. That is when I made my new tank setup and it just went downhill.

THe black leaf was just caused randomly....excess heat? Not really..it was caused in feb which is perfect weather in my apt for these plants.

And then...here is downhill progress...the biggest hit was dehydration...then me trying to repot, new water source....basically compounding factors.

That last pic was in 2010. After that I didn't bother keeping track with pics. (was hoping to take more when it gets better...but it never did). Last summer was the big blow. I removed some glass sheeting under the lights to decrease light loss and temps sky rocketed to over 95F in the tank. All highlanders did suffer (surprisingly, villosa didn't do too bad). But the argentii had enough and it died.

Basically the synopsis: argentii as with any other nep hates changing conditions. It has a very narrow range of comfort and once it settles in, don't budge it. Unfortunately, thats not a option for me as I am a student and i am nomadic in a matter of speaking.

ALways bear in mind as well... live sphagnum as a top dressing is a nice indicator. If it goes downhill, more often than not (ignore macrophylla...they don't care), the plant will follow suit.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is that big pitcher protruding out in the picture?
    Is it a mirablis?

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    They won't produce pitchers until the tendrils can bury into the substrate and re-emerge elsewhere.
    While it apparently does this in it's natural habitat, it isn't necessary. Mine pitchers regularly and all pitchers have either rested on top of live LFS or inflated while hanging from tendril in mid-air.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12