Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N. argentii,whats wrong now??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. argentii,whats wrong now??

hello,
    well after having this plant for almost two years i can say honestly say is the MOST FRUSTRATING NEPENTHES IVE EVER OWNED!!! for about the first year i owned it it did absolutely nothing just sat there looking sad, then it finally started to grow and very slowly increase in leaf size but didnt form one pitcher. About a month ago it starded to elongate a tendril and i was thinking yes ill finally have a pitcher! then the tendril died, and the plant started going downhill now the newest leaf looks likes its rotting and most of the leaves except five died!! does anyone have any idea whats going on??

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

heres some pics.....

Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from the blackening growth point id say its root rot especially with pure lfs and you maw want to wipe your leaves clean of salt buildup..... it will appreciate a reppotting if you find no way of letting the soil dry out. also i have seen plants die looking like this because of a lack of light.....
    duces
    ieatflys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    argentii by nature is already a slow grower.

is your sphagnum actually holding any water? it seems dried AND compacted, two not very good factors---could you explain your potting media? i dont want to make the wrong conclusions....

wrinkles on the leaves suggest there's a desiccation factor going on as well. you can help increase the humidity by 1) watering the media to allow it to hold sufficient water (not slopping wet, but not barely dry either) 2) add live sphagnum on the top layer. live sphagnum is an excellent indicator of your conditions...if it dies, something about your conditions is wrong. and/or 3) bag it and slowly acclimate it to lower humidity conditions.

like what ieatflys said, there is salt build up on the leaves, you might want to wipe those off, but i'd also go one step further---the salt build up is an indicator that the ppm of your water is quite high...it might be time to invest in distilled or RO water.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I didn't post growing conditions I was kinda in a hurry..
    Temps-70/75 day 66/63 night
    Humidity-50/80%
    Soil-orchid bark, perlite, LFS, peat with LFS topdressing
    Grown on a grow rack under fluorescent lights
    And the water marks on the leaves are old I've been using spring water for the past six months and it was repotted not to long ago and the roots were in good condition.
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay..I can only make recommendations based on your pics and my growing conditions in which i have 2 happy and pitchering argentii.
    1. If you are using bottle spring water be very careful. many brands say purified, and for that they go through salt purifier. I use only distilled or rainwater. Plus distilled is cheaper than purified if you're buying it.

2. Get it out of the clay pot. There is a build up of salts visible on the pot rim. Either the mineral content of your water is still too high, you're overfertilizing or you used an older pot without cleaning it first. I use net orchid pots.

3. Skip the LFS in the soil mix. Unless watered too frequently for argentii it will dry out and create dead pockets around the roots. Argentii need a light mix without anything packed densly around the roots.

4. Live LFS as a top dressing is good, not live doesn't seem to have the same affect

5. I found, as had other peeps I've talked with that on an open rack, even with humidity on the high side, does not make tham as happy as being in an enclosed tank with good airflow. I don't know why this should be so. My racks also have high humidity (i have 12 sq feet of water trays) and get the same temp drops as the HL tank..but in the tank they shine.

6. the dying growth tip and desicated leaves may indicate dead or dying roots as "Dead roots absorb no water"

Hope this helps
    Last edited by chibae; 08-14-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thanks for the comments everybody, I repotted it so hopefully it will pull through!
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefallen13 View Post
    Well thanks for the comments everybody, I repotted it so hopefully it will pull through!
    Good luck with it.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing some reading on argentii, and apparently you'll need a bigger pot. They won't produce pitchers until the tendrils can bury into the substrate and re-emerge elsewhere. It's a weird one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast